Do birdsnests never encrust and make a stronger base?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JoJosReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JoJosReef

There's some lovely filth down here!
View Badges
Joined
Sep 27, 2021
Messages
20,693
Reaction score
80,576
Location
Orange County, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen my birdsnests or stylos grow out at the base. This one started out as a little twig and is now much larger, but it still has it's little twig base. I feel like an astraea could topple it over. I know that it is STN'ing a bit, but I think that is because of shading (maybe?). Does anyone know what happens with these as they grow bigger? Thanks!
1693324898854.png
 
I've never seen my birdsnests or stylos grow out at the base. This one started out as a little twig and is now much larger, but it still has it's little twig base. I feel like an astraea could topple it over. I know that it is STN'ing a bit, but I think that is because of shading (maybe?). Does anyone know what happens with these as they grow bigger? Thanks!
1693324898854.png
My stylos have definitely encrusted. My birdnest has definitely a thicker base but hasn't spread out across the rock.
 
My stylos have definitely encrusted. My birdnest has definitely a thicker base but hasn't spread out across the rock.
Thanks! My stylo hasn't encrusted, but that might be due to the large amount of reef cement around it to keep it in place:
1693325368520.png


I'm wondering if I should chop off the birdsnest, cut away the white parts and try re-gluing it.
 
Thanks! My stylo hasn't encrusted, but that might be due to the large amount of reef cement around it to keep it in place:
1693325368520.png


I'm wondering if I should chop off the birdsnest, cut away the white parts and try re-gluing it.
Possibly, I have noticed that frags with that stuff is slower in never encrusted. Here's a stylo I have on a frag rack, definitely spreading.
20230829_121335.jpg
 
You may see a small amount of encrusting. Stylo more likely to show this, but these do not spread out over rock work like an Acropora. Generally the lower portions die off as they become too shaded.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new