ArchieFernandes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do Blue Porcelain Crabs Need To Be In A Reef Tank With Coral Or Can They Be In A Tank Without Coral

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly keep them in a tank without coral; these filter food from the water column, and are not commensalists in coral. I wouldn't put them in a tank with predators, though, as those claws aren't going to offer any protection.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely don’t need coral. But I would highly recommend giving them an anemone. Rock flower nems are super easy to keep. Bubble tip nems are also pretty easy, if the tank is fairly stable they’re very hardy.
Harry mushrooms also would make a good substitute
Not sure if you’re asking because you don’t want to add coral or feel like you can’t because of fish that may eat the coral. Or just insufficient lights. But hey, you don’t have to add anything like that to your tank.
porcelain crabs like having a bit of structure they can hide in. You can get a male and female and have a pair as well. But they naturally really like anemones to hide in, or sponges in some cases. I’m talking about the white/pinkish color porcelain crab though. There are like 2 other types I think, one is greenish or grey. I’m not sure if they prefer an anemone or not. I’d look into the various types of porcelain crabs and depending on which one you want or that are available I’d take that into consideration

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back