Do cleaner shrimp eat bristle worms?!?

GloomyGoomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching my cleaner shrimp scurry along the sandbed after the lights went off. He loves looking for any leftover food and what not. Tonight he grabbed a bristle worm and took it back to his normal hang out spot. It looks like he is eating it?

Has anyone else seen this before?

OP
OP
GloomyGoomy

GloomyGoomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen mine do that, but I have a friend that says his does this all the time
I watched him for awhile longer and he eventually ripped the worm apart. I never thought a skunk cleaner shrimp to be a predator. Who knew those tiny claws were that strong? Glad to hear someone else’s shrimp does the same

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think they may not be getting enough food for them to do this....I target him every now and then with some fish pieces in my regular feeding mix.
I also over feed on purpose for him and cuc

OP
OP
GloomyGoomy

GloomyGoomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think they may not be getting enough food for them to do this....I target him every now and then with some fish pieces in my regular feeding mix.
I also over feed on purpose for him and cuc
I feed him mysis shrimp twice a week when I feed my coral. I also see him eating from the algae clip and durning regular feeding times. Do you think I should directly feed him more? I was having an issu with phosphates so I did reduce how much I feed daily

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry too much about the CUC beyond just adequately feeding your fish. They wax/wane based on available food. If your shrimp eats a bristle worm, so be it. Unless, of course, you were particularly fond of that particular worm ..... in that case, sorry for the loss ;).

OP
OP
GloomyGoomy

GloomyGoomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just got a 6 line in hopes of reducing the population lol. I just didn’t want the shrimp to get stung or something

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Skunk Cleaner shrimp Jacques eats bristle worms all the time. Even though he gets fed well along with the other fish. Guess they are a delicacy! :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back