Do corals care about being in small tanks?

Do corals care about being in small tanks?

• Yes

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • No

Votes: 30 73.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We see a lot of talk about the tang police and forum questions about certain fish in smaller tanks, but what about coral? Do corals care about being in small tanks?

My vote is no. While a coral is an animal they are not swimming and moving about...for the most part. What do you think?

PXL_20220425_180754885.jpg

image via @Biota_Marine

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals absolutely do care about being in small tanks and it all boils down to water flow.

Someone needs to make a mini-micro-pico-nano circulation pump for these tiny, tiny tanks.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would enroll this stinky vase in the corals-per-gallon pageant :)
I honestly believe there's over a thousand polyps in there.

when pico reefs started they were harshly rejected as fake/trick sumped/corals would never survive being that packed/due to allelopathy. corals aren't supposed to habituate to this many nematocysts floating around, repellent chemicals, but they do.

any animal that is reproducing is getting a surplus in vital nutrient in order to do so, corals wouldn't care if they're in a teacup if the water was changed regularly and the feeding was strategic. the fact the corals reproduce I feel is proof they don't mind living in mighty cramped quarters.

picor.jpg

Last edited:

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't consider corals to be thinking beings, they don't have much to think about, nor brains, but they do grow misshapen in small tanks.

As was said before, problems with flow. Also if you don't upgrade or leave the hobby in time, they'll just outgrow the tank

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pico reefers do prune... snips and cuts work the same. it's merely coral bonsai.

the corals in my friend's bowl: pruned regularly, ten years old all top shelf specimens (meaning they grow slow by design, not like red mushrooms that would overtake in 13 mos

that vase is not leaving the hobby soon for sure

the blue ridge coral is taking the same shape as oceanic specimens but is micro'd down in scale for the bowl. the sandbed in this system hasn't been manually cleaned, it's self balancing. that makes it rare among ten year old pico reefs

Lgriff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We see a lot of talk about the tang police and forum questions about certain fish in smaller tanks, but what about coral? Do corals care about being in small tanks?

My vote is no. While a coral is an animal they are not swimming and moving about...for the most part. What do you think?

PXL_20220425_180754885.jpg

image via @Biota_Marine
I think it’s absolute beautiful

Character85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals absolutely do care about being in small tanks and it all boils down to water flow.

Someone needs to make a mini-micro-pico-nano circulation pump for these tiny, tiny tanks.
I have a 1 gallon pico on my desk... Easiest tank I've ever had... 2 yrs no water change just weekly filter floss replacement and monthly replacement of marine pure packet and poly filter... All softies including 3 diff colored xenia, green, purple, and brown kenya, gsp, and a few zoas along with 1 dwarf hermit, 2 nassarius snails, 5 or 6 and a few asterina stars doing beautifully... I have two small pumps about 32 gph in the tank... I bought them as spare parts through PNW Custom Aquatics.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive seen many in micro systems and look as happy as it giant tanks

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Corals aren't animals capable of feeling distress at a lack of enrichment and room to move. Fish need space for enrichment, as they have brains and a need to move around. Corals, like plants, move only when they're forced to by necessity, and most are completely stationary.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back