Do corals need a certain tank size?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know stability is the issue, but would a hammer care if it was in a 5g or a 5g?
I have a 5g pico I’m setting up and was thinking of either doing like 1 Euphyllia, or a GSP rock/back wall, or maybe an anemone.

would stock with like 1 or 2 tangs (this is a joke) but would like to have 1 or 2 nano fish in there.
Assuming I take great care to keep everything stable, is there any coral/anemones I couldn’t keep in a tank that small?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals themselves really don't care about the size of the tank. The bigger issue would be the stability of the parameters in a smaller tank. If you are willing to manage the parameters in a smaller tank, the quicker parameter swings and such thru water changes, then it can work. When it comes to smaller tanks I always recommend going thru @Katrina71 member tank threads. I feel she is one of the best at smaller tanks, in which I feel are harder to maintain, so much respect.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stability matters, size not really. Here's a 6" (.5gallon) cube I kept a while.

20180427_105735.jpg

f.christian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know stability is the issue, but would a hammer care if it was in a 5g or a 5g?
I have a 5g pico I’m setting up and was thinking of either doing like 1 Euphyllia, or a GSP rock/back wall, or maybe an anemone.

would stock with like 1 or 2 tangs (this is a joke) but would like to have 1 or 2 nano fish in there.
Assuming I take great care to keep everything stable, is there any coral/anemones I couldn’t keep in a tank that small?

honestly any coral can go into a small tank the only thing is like you said stability. but I have a 9g biocube and I put dragons breath in the display and some cheato algae behind the rocks. honestly I don't even need to touch the tank it takes care of itself with great growth rate and I have Duncans, zoas, mushrooms, leathers, GSP I don't have many hard corals so I couldn't say in that regard but its worked for me and looks great

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Corals themselves really don't care about the size of the tank. The bigger issue would be the stability of the parameters in a smaller tank. If you are willing to manage the parameters in a smaller tank, the quicker parameter swings and such thru water changes, then it can work. When it comes to smaller tanks I always recommend going thru @Katrina71 member tank threads. I feel she is one of the best at smaller tanks, in which I feel are harder to maintain, so much respect.
Wow. Thanks. I agree, in this case, size doesn't matter as much as stability and water changes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back