Do diatoms mean my fish are in danger?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's normal new tank. They go away when silica gets used up. CUC will eat them.

If you are still using tap and they don't eventually go away... then it could be silicates in the tap.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is approx 2 months old. Is it too old? Ive heard diatoms feed off imbalances in ammonia and nitrite. I think I have high nitrate though, so is that a cause?

Upvote 1

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is approx 2 months old. Is it too old? Ive heard diatoms feed off imbalances in ammonia and nitrite. I think I have high nitrate though, so is that a cause?

It is normal in a 2 month old tank. They use silicates to make their shell. Once they burn through all the silica they vanish unless you are adding silica through something like tap water.

Post a pic

Upvote 3

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tap, and cant afford a RODI unit, will disilled work?

yes distilled is fine. Avoid the jugs that say minerals added for taste. You want just plain distilled.

While diatoms like nutrients they are silica limited... so once that is gone... so are the diatoms.

Upvote 2

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that will be impossible. Near us, almost all of the distilled water has "minerals added for taste"
Is there a way to decrease silica in other ways?

walmart sells plain distilled

most places should have it... people use it in medical devices like cpap machines or even humidifiers.

Upvote 1

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tap, and cant afford a RODI unit.
There is a 50GPD rodi unit on amazon AQUATICLIFE Water Filtration System for $69.99 maybe save a little each week and get it. Night and day difference. I was using distilled for awhile and was like screw this. I’ve read that people in the 70-80s only uses tap and had aquariums for years but defiantly recommend a rodi. If you are using tap make sure to use Prime or another reputable dechlorinator.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a 50GPD rodi unit on amazon AQUATICLIFE Water Filtration System for $69.99 maybe save a little each week and get it. Night and day difference. I was using distilled for awhile and was like screw this. I’ve read that people in the 70-80s only uses tap and had aquariums for years but defiantly recommend a rodi. If you are using tap make sure to use Prime or another reputable dechlorinator.

Is there any cheap RO water? I only need RO, and if its cheap enough (20-30 bucks) I might get it in like a month or a few weeks

Upvote 0

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is API stress coat a reputable dechlorinator
Yeah definitely not terrible stay away from generic brands. Also if you have a skimmer Stress Coat marine I’d recommend. I was using Walmart and Walgreens distilled and buffing PH with Seachem Marine Buffer. I’ve used API stress for years in fresh.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely not terrible stay away from generic brands. Also if you have a skimmer Stress Coat marine I’d recommend. I was using Walmart and Walgreens distilled and buffing PH with Seachem Marine Buffer. I’ve used API stress for years in fresh.
I dont have a skimmer. Wait, so you're saying the AIP stress coat is fine? Ive been using it for 2 years in fresh, and should work in saltwater, right

Upvote 0

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any cheap RO water? I only need RO, and if its cheap enough (20-30 bucks) I might get it in like a month or a few weeks
I think cheapest on amazon is $60 for the 3 stage unit. If moneys an issue try affirm if you have ok credit. They have helped through big purchases. If that’s not possible just a suggestion.
I dont have a skimmer. Wait, so you're saying the AIP stress coat is fine? Ive been using it for 2 years in fresh, and should work in saltwater, right
Yes Stress Coat is fine! I always just recommend Seachem cause I’ve only had positive experiences with all their products.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think cheapest on amazon is $60 for the 3 stage unit. If moneys an issue try affirm if you have ok credit. They have helped through big purchases. If that’s not possible just a suggestion.

Yes Stress Coat is fine! I always just recommend Seachem cause I’ve only had positive experiences with all their products.
the thing is, im not an adult, so no job ;Dead

Upvote 0

Forscythe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he means that he uses Stress Coat in his freshwater tanks only.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he means that he uses Stress Coat in his freshwater tanks only.
Ive been using in my saltwater since setup. Just asking if anythings wrong with it, then Ill get a diff brand next time. I like getting chemicals that work in both fresh and salt (exception of my plant fertilizer)

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 36 19.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 140 74.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.8%
Back