Diatoms/brown algae problems any suggestions ?

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I’ve recently cycled my reef and my water parameters are starting to settle I have been experiencing some brown algae on the surface of my tank and the substrate has been turning a brown colour only a day or so after cleaning I’ve read it could be diatoms but not quite sure if that’s the case I’m currently running 3 tsp of rowaphas in me 52l tank it hasn’t seemed to takle it much can someone please tell me if it’s just diatoms and if so the best way to get rid of it cheers.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's normal for any tank.

If it's possible in your tank, I would recommend a sand sifting goby, but if not, nassarius snails help by moving the sand around, and conchs help cleaning it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop using rowaphos. This is a brand new tank that needs to be allowed to go though the normal "algae cycle" (aka the uglies). Diatoms don't hurt anything and are actually better than some other things that can start growing if there's a lot of "empty real estate".
Just be patient and expect to have a lot more algae as the tank matures. Believe it or not, letting a new tank go through diatoms, gha, and even some types of dinos will make it more stable down the road

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I’ve recently cycled my reef and my water parameters are starting to settle I have been experiencing some brown algae on the surface of my tank and the substrate has been turning a brown colour only a day or so after cleaning I’ve read it could be diatoms but not quite sure if that’s the case I’m currently running 3 tsp of rowaphas in me 52l tank it hasn’t seemed to takle it much can someone please tell me if it’s just diatoms and if so the best way to get rid of it cheers.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
all a part of the beginning of a reef tank. Best to just let it do it's thing. Do some research on proper CUC , and place an order with Reef Cleaners.com. Get some copepods as well, but the tank needs to run it's course, dumping chemicals in now will only cause you more problems.

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop using rowaphos. This is a brand new tank that needs to be allowed to go though the normal "algae cycle" (aka the uglies). Diatoms don't hurt anything and are actually better than some other things that can start growing if there's a lot of "empty real estate".
Just be patient and expect to have a lot more algae as the tank matures. Believe it or not, letting a new tank go through diatoms, gha, and even some types of dinos will make it more stable down the road
Appreciate the reply ye my LFS suggested I use the rowphas due to my phosphate been high at the time is there anything I should do to stop it getting out of hand I’ve read online not over feeding and cutting back on lighting duration can help I have 3 hermits and one turbo snail also but dosnt seem to help much cheers.

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is just starting to get over the diatoms stage. Took less than 2 weeks. I do have nassarius snails, an urchin, and a conch. So just be patient.
Thanks for the reply yeah I have 3 hermits and a turbo snail myself the do a small bit of clean not much though are conch any better I might purchase one if so.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply yeah I have 3 hermits and a turbo snail myself the do a small bit of clean not much though are conch any better I might purchase one if so.
I really wouldn't suggest a turbo snail for a small tank with white rocks. They have HUGE appetites. It may not be dead, but it's certainly starving to death actively in your tank

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also not throwing shade at your local fish store (though I kinda am) I would not trust a single piece of advice a fish store gives you if they consciously told a new reefer with a JUST cycled tank to use rowaphos. There are 3 reasons why they'd do that:

1. They just see a big floating dollar sign over your head and wanted to sell another product.
2. They're incompetent.
3. They didn't take the time to ask you follow up questions that would let them accurately advise you on starting your tank.

All of these are reasons to question their advice

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wouldn't suggest a turbo snail for a small tank with white rocks. They have HUGE appetites. It may not be dead, but it's certainly starving to death actively in your tank
This is good advice. I am rubber banding half a sheet of dried seaweed to my rocks for my urchin.

Although, I have seen it clean the diatoms off the rock, left the rocks pretty clean.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good advice. I am rubber banding half a sheet of dried seaweed to my rocks for my urchin.

Although, I have seen it clean the diatoms off the rock, left the rocks pretty clean.
nassarius snails will turn your sand bed over, they sleep beneath the sand, and come out in force when they smell food, therefore constantly turning sand. They eat detritus, fish food, fish poop. Copepods will do quite a bit as well. Like I mentioned earlier, Reef cleaners,oc, if you look on their site at each CUC member, they give a good description of what each is good at. Getting the process going naturally is ten fold better than trying to fix things with chemicals. Listen to people on here, they will help you.

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nassarius snails will turn your sand bed over, they sleep beneath the sand, and come out in force when they smell food, therefore constantly turning sand. They eat detritus, fish food, fish poop. Copepods will do quite a bit as well. Like I mentioned earlier, Reef cleaners,oc, if you look on their site at each CUC member, they give a good description of what each is good at. Getting the process going naturally is ten fold better than trying to fix things with chemicals. Listen to people on here, they will help you.
Thanks for the reply cheers.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the reply ye my LFS suggested I use the rowphas due to my phosphate been high at the time is there anything I should do to stop it getting out of hand I’ve read online not over feeding and cutting back on lighting duration can help I have 3 hermits and one turbo snail also but dosnt seem to help much cheers.
Some have diatoms for a few weeks, some have them for a few months. Again, they are ugly but otherwise harmless and I would not do anything besides stir the sand a bit. Hermits aand turbos are not going to do much for diatoms. Pick up some cerith snails.
Also, and I know i am in the minority, but I would not recommend reef cleaners.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through this. Especially the part right after the nitrogen cycle (but the equipment overview will be helpful as well...)

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some have diatoms for a few weeks, some have them for a few months. Again, they are ugly but otherwise harmless and I would not do anything besides stir the sand a bit. Hermits aand turbos are not going to do much for diatoms. Pick up some cerith snails.
Do you mind if I ask why about Reef Cleaners? I have ordered from them a few times now, all been good. Not crazy about their macro algae, but CUC ,yes. I am just curious. Did you have a not so positive experience?

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why no reef cleaners?

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind if I ask why about Reef Cleaners? I have ordered from them a few times now, all been good. Not crazy about their macro algae, but CUC ,yes. I am just curious. Did you have a not so positive experience?

Why no reef cleaners?

I’m also interested, I was about thinking of putting an order in with them.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I had several negative experiences with them, and with John's attitude in particular. If others have been satisfied then maybe he's changed his ways; however I will not be ordering anything from him.

You can pm me if you have more questions.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back