OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure. Just picked one with good ratings off of amazon. Mine was like a $100.00

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a look at your ph graph and noticed that it's VERY stable. Given that it's hovering at or near 8.0, I would much rather have ph at 8 and stable than ph at 8.2 then 7.9... Mine goes from 8.05 to 7.85 in one day.
So my response would be to leave it alone and as @saltyfilmfolks said, let it mature.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would much rather have ph at 8 and stable than ph at 8.2 then 7.9...

FWIW, there was a scientific study that showed that being at a higher pH for at least part of a day results in faster hard coral growth than one where the pH is stable, with a similar average pH. :)

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, there was a scientific study that showed that being at a higher pH for at least part of a day results in faster hard coral growth than one where the pH is stable, with a similar average pH. :)

@Randy Holmes-Farley - When you're right, you're right! I sit corrected & will not worry about my spikes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my experiment today. Ran 2 3/8 ID airlines to my skimmer. The run is about 2o feet. Ph usually runs in the 7.8 to 7.9 range.
airline1.jpg
airline2.jpg
airline3.jpg

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ph still was falling throughout day even though I am pulling air from outside. I just don't understand why it had no effect on Ph.

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it likely that growth will increase if you boost pH, and also probably if you increase alkalinity. Not sure which is the easier course, or if either is going to make a huge difference.

Do you have an ATO? Limewater in the ATO is often fairly easy.

I am drawing air from outside but still didn't get a raise in Ph. I am confused why that is? I know the room had high C02.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am drawing air from outside but still didn't get a raise in Ph. I am confused why that is? I know the room had high C02.

Maybe a pH measurement error, or maybe more aeration through the tank top and other exposures to room air than through the skimmer.

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a pH measurement error, or maybe more aeration through the tank top and other exposures to room air than through the skimmer.
The reading is correct. Calibrated Ph probe recently with Apex. It is a 700 gallon tank 10 feet long with a 7 ft long sump. Do you have any suggestions? I would of expected some increase in PH? The tank has a 9.0 Alk reading that I keep pretty stable. I use a large calcium reactor that is set to run 6.5-6.7 Ph.

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a fuge? If you light the fuge at night you might be able to curb the drops and get a more consistency

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a fuge? If you light the fuge at night you might be able to curb the drops and get a more consistency
No it is not practical for a tank my size. The fuge would have to be way bigger than what i have room for.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crack some windows. Two windows open on opposing walls just a 1/4"-1/2" can make huge difference.

kamike91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't read through the whole thread. Ever consider a CO2 scrubber?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back