Do i have hair algea?

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up for a month allready. I have this type of algea growing on my glass and sand bed. Is this hair algea?

20200704_144948.jpg 20200704_144824.jpg 20200704_144804.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i be worry about this algea?

What kind of suprises.....im new to saltwater :/

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i be worry about this algea?

What kind of suprises.....im new to saltwater :/
That’s bryopsis, you can tell from the fern like shape of the strands. It’s very hardy and fast growing, and cuc doesn’t seem to like it. I’ve had a lot of success using Fluconazole to get rid of it in my tank, with no harm to fish or corals. Remove any chemical filtration, Use 1 pill per 10g of water, wait 2+ weeks. As the algae starts to die try to manually remove as much as possible.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s bryopsis, you can tell from the fern like shape of the strands. It’s very hardy and fast growing, and cuc doesn’t seem to like it. I’ve had a lot of success using Fluconazole to get rid of it in my tank, with no harm to fish or corals. Remove any chemical filtration, Use 1 pill per 10g of water, wait 2+ weeks. As the algae starts to die try to manually remove as much as possible.

Okay i will order it right now. Now is it going to come back later? Its okay to use it on new tank,1 month cycle?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay i will order it right now. Now is it going to come back later? Its okay to use it on new tank,1 month cycle?
I would use it ASAP before the bryopsis starts to take over. It will completely eradicate it, and if you leave the Fluconazole in long enough it can kill other types of algae as well. In theory, the bryopsis won’t come back. But as you add more corals, clean up crew, etc, the odds are pretty decent that it will find its way back into your tank. It’s hard to be 100% in this hobby, but fortunately this is one pest that is cheap and easy to get rid of.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use it ASAP before the bryopsis starts to take over. It will completely eradicate it, and if you leave the Fluconazole in long enough it can kill other types of algae as well. In theory, the bryopsis won’t come back. But as you add more corals, clean up crew, etc, the odds are pretty decent that it will find its way back into your tank. It’s hard to be 100% in this hobby, but fortunately this is one pest that is cheap and easy to get rid of.
Thank you so much! Just placed an order hopefully i get it in a couple days.

Fishnchips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank has only been running for a month I wouldn't take any drastic actions. Keep your nitrate and phosphate in check and remove the algae manually.

You will have a lot of critters in the rock, some undesirable but most will be good and interesting.

Consider fluconazole if it is bryopsis, but be prepared for a succession of algae as the tank gets going and finally stabilizes. I consider a tank NEW until it has been running for a year.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more questiom coudn't find the answer.Do i still do weekly water changes?
I wouldn’t, unless absolutely necessary. Doing a wc with medication in the water has the same effect on that medication as it would on your nitrates: if you do a 20% wc, you will reduce nitrates by 20%. Which means in this example that you would have to dose a corresponding amount to get the medication back up to 100%.

as stated above, a new tank is going to have algae of various species and colors! But in my opinion, this particular type of algae is just too invasive and hardy to be allowed to run wild in the tank, and the sooner you can get rid of it the better. Other things, like cyano or green hair algae, should regulate themselves with time (assuming adequate nutrient export methods) as your corals start to grow and your biological filter becomes more established.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t, unless absolutely necessary. Doing a wc with medication in the water has the same effect on that medication as it would on your nitrates: if you do a 20% wc, you will reduce nitrates by 20%. Which means in this example that you would have to dose a corresponding amount to get the medication back up to 100%.

as stated above, a new tank is going to have algae of various species and colors! But in my opinion, this particular type of algae is just too invasive and hardy to be allowed to run wild in the tank, and the sooner you can get rid of it the better. Other things, like cyano or green hair algae, should regulate themselves with time (assuming adequate nutrient export methods) as your corals start to grow and your biological filter becomes more established.

Okay. Thank you so much,you have been really helpfull :).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back