• Can't be sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strictly from test results using Hanna checkers, my NO2 is reading 0.17ppm and Phosphorus 10ppb=0.03ppm PO4, which I understand is very low.

From visual inspection though of the tank, I have green algae and other algae that I have not identified (GHA or Bryopsis?) in the pictures.

My understanding is nuisance algae will grow in the presence of excess PO4, so am I to ignore the Hanna test results and just take the visual inspection at face value and assume I have higher levels? And if so, start dosing bacteria, hydrogen peroxide and implement a plan to pull out PO4?

20220207_080013.jpg
20220207_075949.jpg
20220207_075943.jpg
20220207_075921.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using RoDi?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having algae with low nutrient results might indicate that algae is removing the nutrient fast enough to show low nutrients. Which would imply nutrients aren’t low and that algae is effectively filtering better than the most expensive skimmer and sump man knows. Granted it’s ***** but nature doesn’t judge. We do.

Feeing less might as some point reduce that algae as nature tends to balance itself out and predators dwindle when prey no longer exists. Otherwise manual removal and better artifices filtration needed to ensure algae doesn’t return. Vibrant might be another solution. Predatory bacteria to consume the algae. Just not a quick fix from what I’ve read.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. Not a fan of vibrant either. Miracles in a bottle seldom work as we want them to

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having algae with low nutrient results might indicate that algae is removing the nutrient fast enough to show low nutrients. Which would imply nutrients aren’t low and that algae is effectively filtering better than the most expensive skimmer and sump man knows. Granted it’s ***** but nature doesn’t judge. We do.

Feeing less might as some point reduce that algae as nature tends to balance itself out and predators dwindle when prey no longer exists. Otherwise manual removal and better artifices filtration needed to ensure algae doesn’t return. Vibrant might be another solution. Predatory bacteria to consume the algae. Just not a quick fix from what I’ve read.
I WAS overfeeding for a couple months since my levels were so low, and reading all the potential risks of Dino's and other nuisance bacteria taking over, I figured I would start overfeeding. I also only have 1 large YT in the tank now (220g), so I felt it was necessary since I had literally 0 bioload.

I also removed filter socks to help keep nutrients in the water, AND reduced WCs.

I have since stopped overfeeding, and resumed WCs.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incorrect chemical symbols will lead to confusion.

NO2 is nitrogen dioxide.

NO2- is nitrite.

Nitrate is NO3-.

Hanna has checkers for nitrite and nitrate.

Are you measuring nitrate?

0.03 ppm phosphate is not too low.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incorrect chemical symbols will lead to confusion.

NO2 is nitrogen dioxide.

NO2- is nitrite.

Nitrate is NO3-.

Hanna has checkers for nitrite and nitrate.

Are you measuring nitrate?

0.03 ppm phosphate is not too low.
Good catch, Nitrate NO3 was the nomenclature I was after, not NO2.

And assuming 0.03ppm Phosphate is not to low, is there a safe level that Nitrate should be at as well ie. higher than the 0.17ppm I measure?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch, Nitrate NO3 was the nomenclature I was after, not NO2.

And assuming 0.03ppm Phosphate is not to low, is there a safe level that Nitrate should be at as well ie. higher than the 0.17ppm I measure?

I usually recommend 2-10 ppm nitrate and 0.02 to 0.1 ppm phosphate. :)

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the age of your tank ?
Did you set up with dry or man made rock?
What are your nutrient export methods ? ie. Skimmer, algae scrubber, refugium, socks, filter floss?
Do you have much of a clean up crew ( Urchin, Snails, crabs, )

Take a couple pics further back with filtration exposed so we can digest how your system is designed and we should be able to help you out of this.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the age of your tank ?
Did you set up with dry or man made rock?
What are your nutrient export methods ? ie. Skimmer, algae scrubber, refugium, socks, filter floss?
Do you have much of a clean up crew ( Urchin, Snails, crabs, )

Take a couple pics further back with filtration exposed so we can digest how your system is designed and we should be able to help you out of this.
Its going on 3 years now.

Nutrient export: Reef Octopus Regal 200 SSS on LOWEST setting...filter socks in eShopps RS 200 sump (although I have kept them out for several months battling what was perceived as "low" nutrients due to the low readings on the Hanna checkers). I also discontinued WCs for several months in an attempt to bring nutrients up.

For CUC, I currently have Trocus, Cerinth, bumblebee, hermit and conch.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back