Do I have to use both return holes?

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just bought a tank with 2 return holes

I have MP40s and another jebao SLW 20 on a 40 gallon long/35 inch length with a 2K gallon/hour DC pump.

Im not concerned about water flow.

I dont HAVE to use both returns holes do I?

I dont see the reason why we need to use both holes. We're just bringing water up to the tank.

Please educate me if I'm missing any points.

Thanks!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is set in stone, do what you want. I haven’t seen two return outlets on a 40 long before but I haven’t looked at one in years. As long as you have one return discharge, a drain to the sump, and an overflow to the sump you’re good. Now that I said that, I don’t know if you’re running a herbie/bean animal/durso setup?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People use two returns to improve water surface disruptions and to instigate water movement around the tank. If you have two return pumps having them on different returns makes it easier to troubleshoot when one fails.

You don’t need two and there are no civil laws that mandate two or even one, as far as I know.

OP
OP
bozo

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nothing is set in stone, do what you want. I haven’t seen two return outlets on a 40 long before but I haven’t looked at one in years. As long as you have one return discharge, a drain to the sump, and an overflow to the sump you’re good. Now that I said that, I don’t know if you’re running a herbie/bean animal/durso setup?
Thanks for the response.

I'm running a herbie. First time ever doing it. Ive always ran bean animal on all of my previous tanks.

Even my current 25 gallon tank has a bean animal. All 1 inch drains. Overkill.

I've been looking at a few builds for this tank. They seem to use both return holes.

1682831139227.png

and also in this thread

I think I'm going to plug up the extra hole. Less worries that way.

OP
OP
bozo

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
People use two returns to improve water surface disruptions and to instigate water movement around the tank. If you have two return pumps having them on different returns makes it easier to troubleshoot when one fails.

You don’t need two and there are no civil laws that mandate two or even one, as far as I know.

Thank you for your response!

Perfect.

On my 225 I used both return holes with out even thinking about questioning why I was doing it.

Now that I'm a few tanks wiser or dumber haha, I had to ask lol.

Thanks again!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response.

I'm running a herbie. First time ever doing it. Ive always ran bean animal on all of my previous tanks.

Even my current 25 gallon tank has a bean animal. All 1 inch drains. Overkill.

I've been looking at a few builds for this tank. They seem to use both return holes.

1682831139227.png

and also in this thread

I think I'm going to plug up the extra hole. Less worries that way.
Gotcha, like mentioned above redundancy with two pumps is an option. If you run uv you could plumb that to discharge in the other hole. I’m guessing some may only use the return for flow and not run powerheads depending on what they have in the tank. In any case it’s nice to have more options than less! I know I could always use an extra return outlet in the display for something. Good luck with the new setup!

OP
OP
bozo

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gotcha, like mentioned above redundancy with two pumps is an option. If you run uv you could plumb that to discharge in the other hole. I’m guessing some may only use the return for flow and not run powerheads depending on what they have in the tank. In any case it’s nice to have more options than less! I know I could always use an extra return outlet in the display for something. Good luck with the new setup!

Dang

Thats actually a great idea to run the UV to that other return hole. I might consider that!

Right now the UV output dumps back into the skimmer section.

Thanks for the ideas and feedback!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I have MP40s and another jebao SLW 20 on a 40 gallon long/35 inch length with a 2K gallon/hour DC pump.

I dont see the reason why we need to use both holes. We're just bringing water up to the tank.

Thanks!
Please post pics of what you are referring to

OP
OP
bozo

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Please post pics of what you are referring to
1682896424870.png

I want to plug up one of the return holes and just use the one right above the return pump.

One of my pals said that I may have dead zones in regards to the water on the surface.

Still contemplating my move.

I really dont want to plumb a line across the tank :(

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1682896424870.png

I want to plug up one of the return holes and just use the one right above the return pump.

One of my pals said that I may have dead zones in regards to the water on the surface.

Its a nice layout

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1682896424870.png

Completely up to you on how you do it....to each there own....the way i see it is the hole is already there might as well take advantage of it...but doesnt mean you have to. I run dual returns on my setups with having adequate flow with wavemakers even without the returns. I am able to dial the wavemakers down quite a bit which could help with longevity of the wave pumps but honestly who knows. I would just go with the duals but if your not wanting to due to the extra pvc running across the tank then plug the bulkhead and call it that

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang

Thats actually a great idea to run the UV to that other return hole. I might consider that!

Right now the UV output dumps back into the skimmer section.

Thanks for the ideas and feedback!
Sounds like you’re getting a good plan together. Don’t know if you’ve ever used or heard of the vca rfg, random flow generator, but they actually work great as replacements for standard return nozzles.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
When you say you are not concerned about water flow, what exactly are you keeping in this tank?

OP
OP
bozo

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When you say you are not concerned about water flow, what exactly are you keeping in this tank?
Great question

Just Zoas, shrooms, euphyllias, acans, other LPS and a couple of easy SPS like montis, setosas.

for now.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds like you’re getting a good plan together. Don’t know if you’ve ever used or heard of the vca rfg, random flow generator, but they actually work great as replacements for standard return nozzles.
Vac are awesome. I have two and they pressed into place and are strong

OP
OP
bozo

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok guys

I will listen to your guys’ advice and tee off a like to the 2nd hole

After plumbing the 1st hole while doing a water test in the garage, I realized that I might as well run the 2nd hole so I won’t ever regret it. Lol

Thanks again for all the professional advice!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back