Do I need a skimmer for a biocube 12

Jnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a biocube 12 gal and the only small skimmer I can find is for fitting the 14 or 28.

Do I really need a skimmer? The tank has the built in overflow. I figure I should remove all the small ceramic donuts and just leave the filter media to screen out large particles from the pump.

Sorry for the stupid question, but this is the first nano I have tried to set up and there will be no sump.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty sure biocube doesnt make a 12 gallon, but i have been wrong before.

skimmer is never a bad idea, but alot of people have accomplished tansk skimmer free. But, for a beginner I would defenatly recommend looking for a nano size skimmer (the stock biocube skimmer is awful anyways, it is airstone powered... i know i went down that road when i started) I know current makes a fission skimmer that is around 30 dollars, but you just need to shop around a bit.

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Biocube comes in 8, 14 and 29 gallons. Here is a link with dimensions. If it is the 14 then you do have options for skimmers. When I had my biocube, I tried the oceanic skimmer and it can work if you do not mind adjusting it twice a day. I think that Tunze makes a skimmer for the 14's

Oceanic Systems | Products | BioCube Aquariums

mlove

Reefing Peasant
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a biocube 12 gal and the only small skimmer I can find is for fitting the 14 or 28.

Do I really need a skimmer? The tank has the built in overflow. I figure I should remove all the small ceramic donuts and just leave the filter media to screen out large particles from the pump.

Sorry for the stupid question, but this is the first nano I have tried to set up and there will be no sump.
I think a skimmer depends on what kind of livestock you're keeping. If you want a high-end SPS tank as well as a small fish in a 14G then yeah you should probably look into one. If you're looking on doing something like a soft coral tank or even LPS tank with a couple clowns then I wouldn't worry about it. There are quite a few helpful tips on the biocubes and other nanos on this forum (tips, tricks, modifications, etc.). If you're doing a mixed tank with very limited/no SPS I would recommend you spend the money on an inTank media basket and some carbon, filter floss, chaeto, and a light for the chaeto instead. Like I said previously, look around on the stickies and go through the options to see which setup would work best for your future plans. Please feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions pertaining to the biocube14 (I'm sure there is a pro here as well that would love to answer any questions via pm). Good luck!

P.S. Definitely keep up with your weekly 2gal water changes!

Last edited:

lawnman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a 29 gallon Biocube before my Elos mini and I never ran a skimmer. I had a Tunze 9002 it would only pull out 1 ounce of skimmate a week tops. I always did 4 gallon water changes. If you are getting a 14 gallon biocube I would do 3 gallon water changes a week and pass on the skimmer.

OP
OP
J

Jnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right about the non 12 gal biocube, I don't have the box it came in but after checking it out further it is a JBJ 12 DX with the upgraded light system not the biocube model I thought it was.

It has the 2 cooling fans which is nice about the JBJ model.

Is there a hang on the back type that would work well that anyone is happy with?

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your plans with tank? Full blown sps? softies only? If you are running full blown sps than I would get a skimmer, if not, just keep up with your water changes.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people are running smaller tanks without skimmers, so they are not a mandatory item for success. For certain tanks, especially those with a higher bio-load and those that need to maintain low-nutrient conditions, an efficient skimmer can be quite helpful.

I have a 12g mixed reef tank (SPS, LPS, 'Shrooms, Zoas) that has been running well for nearly 2 years with just 10%/wk water changes and no filtration media. I can get away with it because I only have one goby. Add a few clownfish (or similar bulky fish) and then additional filtration media plus 3-4 g/wk WCs sounds about right.

OP
OP
J

Jnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses. It is planed just for an invert, live rock and soft corals only, no fish.

So it looks like worrying about a skimmer is just over kill.

mlove

Reefing Peasant
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you need a skimmer on a 28 gallon nano cube with just softies and a few clowns?
In my opinion, in a soft coral tank you don't need that great of water quality. I'm not saying feed until you can't see through the water, but I am saying that with decent husbandry skills you can keep this tank running flawlessly without a skimmer. I believe this is not only true for your soft coral plan, but also true for your mixed reef plan that will shortly follow the soft coral plan lol. If you decide to go full SPS or a good majority SPS you might think about it since it is a small price to pay in comparison to a few pricey SPS pieces. I would only recommend two clowns in a tank that small, more-so for territorial reasons than anything else.

SkyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. It's a 14-gallon tank.

The Biocube comes in 8, 14 and 29 gallons. Here is a link with dimensions. If it is the 14 then you do have options for skimmers. When I had my biocube, I tried the oceanic skimmer and it can work if you do not mind adjusting it twice a day. I think that Tunze makes a skimmer for the 14's

Oceanic Systems | Products | BioCube Aquariums

Wow. That's pretty funny. You are right! I thought my BioCube was a 12-gallon tank, but it sure enough is a 14-gallon tank, according to the manual!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 48 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back