Do I need to account for sump size when choosing a skimmer?

WonkyWapiti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If looking at a 75 gallon tank such as the IM INT 75 which comes with a 39 gallon capacity sump, should I be looking at a skimmer which can support 75 gallons or do I need to look for a larger skimmer that takes into account the extra capacity of the sump? I attempted to search for this answer but did not see anything specific to what I'm asking.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really big sump. You might want to try for a smaller sump so you can fit an ATO reservoir, your dosing pumps and solutions as well as test kits etc. But no, really match the skimmer to the display. I have a 7 gallon sump and a 4 gallon ATo reservoir on my 30 gallon IM

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If looking at a 75 gallon tank such as the IM INT 75 which comes with a 39 gallon capacity sump, should I be looking at a skimmer which can support 75 gallons or do I need to look for a larger skimmer that takes into account the extra capacity of the sump? I attempted to search for this answer but did not see anything specific to what I'm asking.
You want it to support tank volume, not sump volume

Upvote 0

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is beautiful, but once you get deeper into the hobby space will be at a premium. There is a lot of wasted space with that giant overflow chamber and huge sump that you will wish you had available later. Keep looking. I love my IM aquarium and aluminum cabinet. They are top notch. There are different options. My sump is a seven gallon aquarium with a filter sock, skimmer, brightwell export blocks, a heater and my return pump. Nothing fancy at all.
Here is my prefilter box on my 30 for example
Screenshot_2024-01-15-22-20-10-92_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WonkyWapiti

WonkyWapiti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, and @MrGisonni thanks for the info on sump size. I'm still in the planning stages getting back into the hobby after being out for a long time. I know I have a max 36 inch wall space to put the tank so my upper end is pretty much a 75 gallon but also debating on going a tad smaller as I've been impressed with a number of 50 gallon IM builds here. Everything seems to be about give and take when looking at real estate within the cabinet.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back