Do I need to worry or is this normal?

Corals & Cabs

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 11, 2025
Messages
33
Reaction score
9
Location
Merritt Island, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this red stuff growing on one of my rocks, only on this one. Is this normal or do I need to get it off?
I have the tank with no fish, I just got hit with Velvet and lost 4 fish, I have the others in my QT tank now going through a Copper treatment. This just happened 4 days ago.

IMG_1883.jpeg IMG_1882.jpeg IMG_1885.png IMG_1884.png
 
Looks like cyano. If it scrubs off, it is. Little spots happen, just don't let me propagate.
 
If it blows off, cyano. If not, might be coralline algae. I have a maroon type.
Keep us posted
 
I have this red stuff growing on one of my rocks, only on this one. Is this normal or do I need to get it off?
I have the tank with no fish, I just got hit with Velvet and lost 4 fish, I have the others in my QT tank now going through a Copper treatment. This just happened 4 days ago.

IMG_1883.jpeg IMG_1882.jpeg IMG_1885.png IMG_1884.png
Cyanobacteria is a normal occurrence. Sometimes the film growth explodes. Water chemistry rarely if ever predicts its occurrence. You might not want to neglect this.. Use a turkey baster to suction it off. Dispose of it and replace the water you suctioned out. Return to the place where the cyanobacteria was removed and use the turkey baster to “blow” water over the area. This will remove material that collects on rock surfaces and might be making a home for the Cyanobacteria.
 
I also have maroon coralline so I agree with above, first see if it blows off. If so net it out of the tank. Then look to address what’s causing the cyano and make changes (often caused by low/no flow or nutrient imbalance). If it’s the maroon coralline then that’s a pretty one to have.
 
Cyanobacteria is a normal occurrence. Sometimes the film growth explodes. Water chemistry rarely if ever predicts its occurrence. You might not want to neglect this.. Use a turkey baster to suction it off. Dispose of it and replace the water you suctioned out. Return to the place where the cyanobacteria was removed and use the turkey baster to “blow” water over the area. This will remove material that collects on rock surfaces and might be making a home for the Cyanobacteria.
Thank you, appreciate the guidance
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new