Do I roll the dice? Established Flamehawk vs ORA Whitespot Pympy Filefish

  • Thread starter Thread starter JaaxReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 13, 2017
Messages
1,060
Reaction score
736
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 6 year old 120 gallon reef that is established and I’ve had the ORA Whitespot Pygmy Filefish on my wishlist for almost 2 years. Finally got them in stock and ordered a pair immediately. They are so cute and curious and have great personalities.

I had no idea how small these would arrive. Maybe 1”. They have been in QT with no symptoms, so I added them in an acclimation box in the main display. It’s been two weeks of feeding them and they have fattened up a little, but obviously not noticeable growth yet.

My question: I have an established flame hawk that has been gentle and aloof with every fish added after it so far, including my green spot dragonette, and a couple very small azure damsels. The damsels are definitely more timid and have never shown aggression with anything added either; not worried about them. But the small size of these fish has me wondering if my little filefish will be eaten by the hawk. Thoughts? Should I keep the acclimation box in there for a long time until they have grown out more? Any tips on getting them to grow faster, if so?
 
I have had (and currently have) Flame Hawks. No promise here from me, but I would describe Flame Hawks as being interested in jumping out at small morsels of bite-size food-- and not an actual 1" fish that swims by.

(Would love to see a photo of your Filefish.) 🙃
 
Yeah, really seems to depend on the fish personality… some are complete jerks; others fine.

Tough to photograph through the acclimation box, but here’s the best I’ve got.

IMG_8541.jpeg
 
I’ve had several flame hawks and never once saw them bother anything, fish and shrimp included. They just stared at me all of the time.
 
Might let them loose this evening with the box still in there knowing I may need to catch them if things go badly… I’m tired of looking at the acclimation box. Haha.
 
it’s been about 10 minutes since I added them. Interestingly enough, no interest from my flame hawk, but my saddleback clown has chased at them a couple times… she’s fairly large, like 4-5”. Luckily I’ve got a huge gorg and tons of mature coral for them to hide in. Hopefully she chills out and gets the idea that they aren’t food.

Feeding heavily at the moment and crossing my fingers! Stuck a masstick in there before I let them out.
 
I think they are so tiny and so low threat, that most of the fish don’t give a hoot they are in there. Good signs so far!

The tank is so large for them, I hope they don’t get lost. Exploring a bunch!
 
it’s been about 10 minutes since I added them. Interestingly enough, no interest from my flame hawk, but my saddleback clown has chased at them a couple times… she’s fairly large, like 4-5”. Luckily I’ve got a huge gorg and tons of mature coral for them to hide in. Hopefully she chills out and gets the idea that they aren’t food.

Feeding heavily at the moment and crossing my fingers! Stuck a masstick in there before I let them out.
My clown hassles everyone on the first day…Sort of like an initiation to the tank. After that, the clown goes back into its own little world.
 
One missing when I got home from work, but they are so small it could be hiding anywhere in my mature tank. I won’t think it has died or been eaten until it has been a couple more days with no sighting.
 
You mentioned a Saddleback Clown... not many people mention them anymore (or seem to have one). Best swim-pattern of any Clown, in my opinion; not for smaller tanks, though. I had mine in a 150-gallon and he glided through every inch of it.
 
You mentioned a Saddleback Clown... not many people mention them anymore (or seem to have one). Best swim-pattern of any Clown, in my opinion; not for smaller tanks, though. I had mine in a 150-gallon and he glided through every inch of it.
Yeah, I got her from ORA for $15. Underrated and adorable fish. Currently lives in my large ORA Red Goni. Also, love that it doesn’t constantly bite me when I put my hands in the tank like some other varieties I’ve had before.
 
Yeah, I got her from ORA for $15. Underrated and adorable fish. Currently lives in my large ORA Red Goni. Also, love that it doesn’t constantly bite me when I put my hands in the tank like some other varieties I’ve had before.
So did your filefish show up and how are they doing?
 
Curious about your fish as well!
 
Well, I hate sharing failures and have had very little fish loss in the last 5 years, but these little buggers just disappeared after 3 days of being out and about in the tank. Zero aggression from the flame hawk, and only initial chasing from my saddleback clown that stopped after day 1. I just can’t find them. Breaks my heart. 😞
 
Well, I hate sharing failures and have had very little fish loss in the last 5 years, but these little buggers just disappeared after 3 days of being out and about in the tank. Zero aggression from the flame hawk, and only initial chasing from my saddleback clown that stopped after day 1. I just can’t find them. Breaks my heart. 😞


They ship them too tiny!

When I ordered my filefish they came in at about 1/3 of the advertised size. Never saw them. I mean they were so small they could have just went down the overflow slits.

TINY!!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new