Do I throw it away or try to save it? Quick before it gets nuked.

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've labeled this as an emergency because I'm aware that in a nano tank, like my 22-gallon setup, a dying coral can significantly disrupt the balance. Over the past few days, I've noticed my torch coral showing signs of distress, leading me to administer a dip treatment. Following this, the stem/base began to deteriorate. I observed hermit crabs on the coral and initially thought they were to blame, nudging them away. However, I later discovered the real issue was my pistol shrimp, which I caught aggressively attacking the coral by snapping at it repeatedly. I managed to scare the shrimp away and relocated the coral to a safer area of the tank, away from the shrimp's reach.

Currently, the coral is in a precarious state: one head appears unharmed, while the other seems severely damaged. I'm seeking advice on how to proceed. Should I consider removing the coral to prevent any potential risk to my tank, or is there a possibility it might recover? Is it wise to trim away the damaged portion in the hopes of saving the healthy part? I've attached some images for reference (note: the coral has been moved to a dim, low-flow area, away from the shrimp, and the photos were taken in better lighting for clarity).

Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
IMG_4297.jpeg
IMG_4296.jpeg
IMG_4291.jpeg
IMG_4288.jpeg
IMG_4292.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what "risk" there is regarding the torch declining or dying... I say, if you want to give it more time to recover, then keep it. If not, then don't.

As for trimming away the damaged part, with a branching coral such as this, the only thing you should cut off is a dead polyp - and that's just from an aesthetic point of view. It doesn't look great, but if all the heads/polyps are still trying to extend tentacles and there's no brown jelly, there's no real reason to remove any living polyps. (If you're unsure about brown jelly, just take the coral out and give it a sniff... Trust me, you'll know when you smell it)

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d leave it and see if I could nurse it back to health. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. If your bio filtration is sufficient in that tank, I wouldn’t be too concerned if it died. Sounds like you have a good clean up crew available too

OP
OP
Macsreefs

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what "risk" there is regarding the torch declining or dying... I say, if you want to give it more time to recover, then keep it. If not, then don't.

As for trimming away the damaged part, with a branching coral such as this, the only thing you should cut off is a dead polyp - and that's just from an aesthetic point of view. It doesn't look great, but if all the heads/polyps are still trying to extend tentacles and there's no brown jelly, there's no real reason to remove any living polyps. (If you're unsure about brown jelly, just take the coral out and give it a sniff... Trust me, you'll know when you smell it)
Leave it in the tank and let nature take its course. Even in a nano one dead coral will not “nuke” the entire tank. There’s a chance it will recover too.
I’d leave it and see if I could nurse it back to health. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. If your bio filtration is sufficient in that tank, I wouldn’t be too concerned if it died. Sounds like you have a good clean up crew available too

Okay, I have my answer thank you all for the quick replies! No brown jelly either and he is still extending his polyps. Will hope for the best!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back