Do Mithrax crabs have fan/feather like appendages?

William Sharkspeare

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 30, 2026
Messages
84
Reaction score
107
Location
a tropic sea
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I have a large Ruby Mithrax that came with my TBS rock, but occasionally I will see some mobile invert that is filtering the water column. I also think it has some long skinny antennae. Unfortunately I can never get a good look at it. Is it the crab or some kind of shrimp? Attached is a picture of my crab. I don't believe this is what I am seeing.



PXL_20260717_114639391.jpg
 
Last edited:
Possibly a barnacle, they reach out and wave their fan through the water:

images (1).jpeg
 
There's a ton of barnacle shells all over that rock so I second barnacle
 
Where it's Florida rock it could be a mole crab (Emerita talpoida) or a green porcelain crab (Petrolisthes armatus) justfebreezeit is likely right IMO. Mole crabs are intertidal so more likely the porcelain crab if they don't leave the rock near the beach before collection or something.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new