"Do not overmix salt" - Why?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mjszos
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Once mixed, stirring does nothing useful (except perhaps spread the heat around) unless it is a mix that contains organic matter that bacteria may consume, lowering O2. :)

I can’t speak to the salt as I never keep it around long enough, but I’ve found that keeping a small power head providing surface agitation/gas exchange with my RODI helps keep the “musty” smell away.

It could be a waste of power, but I’ve got a sensitive nose - not sure if it’s bacteria or what, but after a month or so in a brute the RODI smells a little cave-y.
 
I can’t speak to the salt as I never keep it around long enough, but I’ve found that keeping a small power head providing surface agitation/gas exchange with my RODI helps keep the “musty” smell away.

It could be a waste of power, but I’ve got a sensitive nose - not sure if it’s bacteria or what, but after a month or so in a brute the RODI smells a little cave-y.

I’m not sure how stirring ro/di would prevent such smells, but if it helps your situation, there’s never anything wrong with stirring it. :)
 
OK, not sure that I have followed everything in this thread but I guess I have to ask: Is my normal process faulty in some manner?

I run a nano tank and do my best to do 1g water changes every week. So, when I finish a water change and the bucket is empty, I run 2g of RODI water into the cleaned white bucket, add the required amount of Reef Crystal salt and then drop in a powerhead with an air line attached to the top of the bucket to mix in air. I loosely place the top on the bucket.

A few hours later, I verify the salinity and then pretty much leave it run in a temp controlled garage (77 degrees) for a week. After a week, I verify salinity again and then do a 1g water change, keep running the powerhead in it and then use the second gallon a week later. Should I change this? Remove the air line? Stop running the powerhead? Last question to ask, after all the different threads about salt mixes, is there a clear favorite, especially for a nano LPS/Softy tanks?
 
If you do not see visible white precipitation in the mixing tank, you can mix any way you want.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new