Do peaceful clownfish exist? Which species?

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a breeding pair of ocellaris clowns and the female is NASTY! Attacks any fish that is not 4-5x her size. I couldn't add any new smaller fish to my 150 gallon reef tank so I took the pair of clowns out and put them in a temporary jail tank. After being in the tank for a month, I reintroduced the clowns back to the main tank which now has several new fish including cardinal fish and blennies. The clown female is again attacking all the smaller fish, so I permanently removed the clowns and now they are in solitary confinement forever. I really do love clownfish and would like to get a new pair of a new species but I would like to minimize my chances of this happening again. Does anybody have any suggestions? I do like the galaxy clarkii clowns Ive seen. Another option would be a new ocellaris pair that grows up with the rest of the already existing fish. BTW anybody in west central Florida want a pair of mean clowns? Also like maroons but I know they can be aggressive.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone seems to forget that clownfish are damsels, and like the rest of the damsels they can be nasty. The peaceful ones are ocellaris.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone seems to forget that clownfish are damsels, and like the rest of the damsels they can be nasty. The peaceful ones are ocellaris.
Good point, mine are ocellaris and Im not sure if I have a particularly mean one or if they all get mean after getting established.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nesting pairs are particularly nasty. Had one in a service tank that would chase my hand clear across 6ft to bite between my fingers the moment my hand touched the water.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a tomato before my tank got marine velvet and she didnt attack anyone but another tomato clown i tried to pair her with

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back