Do people even want kenya trees anymore

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tank a few years ago that came with a kenya tree, I don't mind it too much but these past few weeks it has dropped a total of 5 branches, which I know will turn into 5 new kenya trees (which I absolutely do not want). I was hoping to trade them to local reefers for a zoa polyp or two each, but after no interest, I asked around locally and realised that I can't even give these things away. I understand they grow fast and are in the same vein as GSP and xenia, but do people really not want them?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you may have found the answer to this on your own. I expect it varies from area to area.

My first coral was a devil's hand leather coral. I don't think a leather coral has ever been loved as much by anyone.

In my area there seems to be very limited demand for even free leather corals, but it might be a nice gift to new reefers in your local club. Alternatively, I bet your LFS would give you some minimal livestock credit for it. New reefers need hardy corals to keep their interest in the early days.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
for me- NEVER EVER again. I placed one and yes kept dropping branches and got in between all my SPS and became a jungle as you can see in a couple of pics- Nightmare to say the least

660g 3.30b.jpg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post them for sale on local buy and sell such as kijiji .
new reefers need easy corals .
Sadly . I have the same issue with cheato. I can’t give it away free fast enough .

Xenia , palys are all the same issue trying to get rid of

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post them for sale on local buy and sell such as kijiji .
new reefers need easy corals .
Sadly . I have the same issue with cheato. I can’t give it away free fast enough .

Xenia , palys are all the same issue trying to get rid of
Sale or free .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them up on kijiji for free but my LFS said I'd be better off tossing them in the trash, so I threw them out but I'm sure the mother kenya tree will be popping out more babies soon enough
It’s a shame ….
I do the same with cheato once it takes over my sump .
I can’t give it away fast enough

I just found a lfs about 2 hours away feom
Me that will take what ever I don’t want and will give credit towards other livestock .

saves trashing it . If only more Canadians start reefing .

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue colored one.. well looks like a kenya... don't think it drops branches though. The market near you probably just doesn't have enough newbies.

I am switching over to soft corals.. riped out two huge SPS today which I also dropped on the floor and shattered. oops.

The more rare or designer softies seem to fetch good prices and trade easily. Long polyp toads, stereonepthea, yellow fiji toads, red xenia, etc.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue colored one.. well looks like a kenya... don't think it drops branches though. The market near you probably just doesn't have enough newbies.

I am switching over to soft corals.. riped out two huge SPS today which I also dropped on the floor and shattered. oops.

The more rare or designer softies seem to fetch good prices and trade easily. Long polyp toads, stereonepthea, yellow fiji toads, red xenia, etc.
There's only like 15 people really big in the hobby in my province, so the coral selection has kind of homogenised. You'll see the exact same corals in almost everyone's tanks. All the LFS places here are interested more in keeping existing customers rather than educating new ones, and all the shops are out of the way enough that most people don't just wander in out of curiosity. Having worked at a LFS here, I can say there are many, many, many freshwater enthusiasts, but no one cares much about salt at all.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back