Do you clean your Media Baskets?

thegrimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Was just curious to see if you all clean your media baskets regularly. I pulled mine out to replace a chemipure bag and noticed all kinds of different sized sponges? Just wanted to avoid this and anything else seeking refuge in there spreading into the tank.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Was just curious to see if you all clean your media baskets regularly. I pulled mine out to replace a chemipure bag and noticed all kinds of different sized sponges? Just wanted to avoid this and anything else seeking refuge in there spreading into the tank.
The sponges and microfauna are beneficial. I only rinse my media baskets in old tank water to remove any loose detritus, the rest can stay!

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't clean the intank media baskets in my fluval evo 13.5 AIO tank. I do, however, change the filter floss as needed to keep chamber 3 water level up and I change the carbon out every two weeks.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never clean the media baskets in my IM Fusion 20 and it has been up and running for almost two years. I use it for a Coral QT and the parameters are more stable than my DT at the moment. I do not have any fish, just coral and a few inverts so that may be a factor, but the baskets themselves don't really get that dirty, but have plenty of life growing on them. i figure it's good because I can throw any coral in that tank and it will thrive. I have even taken coral that wasn't doing so well in my DT and put it back in QT to nurse it back to health and the tank is solid.

So, my vote is not to clean the baskets themselves, just change out the media when needed.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back