How are do you keep your tank looking clean?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like many of us on here strive for a nice clean, mostly algae free tank. I am wondering how are you achieving that? Do you dose certain chemicals regularly, keep a well stocked cuc, or do regular maintenance on your tank. Curious to see what everyone says!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria driven,”dose bacteria and food source” so no algae! Clean the glass every other day about 3min and empty skimmer once week.. besides that nothing! Tank takes care of itself.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I’m new and my tank isn’t fully matured, I’m still seeing different kinds of algae coming through. I think PNS pro bio has done something to keep unwanted algae from proliferating. I have what might be considered an undersized CUC of about 7 snails and 3 hermits for a 14gal but they also put in the work. Scrubbing and scraping during weekly maintenance is probably a bigger factor for the overall cleanliness

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like many of us on here strive for a nice clean, mostly algae free tank. I am wondering how are you achieving that? Do you dose certain chemicals regularly, keep a well stocked cuc, or do regular maintenance on your tank. Curious to see what everyone says!
Feed the snails so they grow and annihilate any algae the might grow. Scrape the glass. Sand takes care of itself.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean Glass every 2 days or so, I was stirring the sand bed, but now I have a diamond goby and is a fantastic sand sifter cleaning machine. Lots of CUCs, an Urchin etc. I don't have much nuisance algae anymore, but I immediately suck it out when I find it.

I run a Cannister and I'm only cleaning it/renewing media every 3 months. Water Changes like twice a month. I only do 5 gallons at a time for a 40GB.

Dee tre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part tank stays clean... I have a diamond goby so my sand is always cleaned... my back wall has that carpet looking green algea on one side of the tank because i cleaned it off on the right side then decided to leave the rest I the scraper in the top right corner ready for glass cleaning at all times... skimmer and power heads are cleaned every other month
20240211_095647.jpg

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the snails so they grow and annihilate any algae the might grow. Scrape the glass. Sand takes care of itself.
Snails did it for me!

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just normal maintenance, keep the glass clean, change the socks weekly, clean protein skimmer cup, and have monthly, quarterly, semi, and yearly maintenance. Have not done a water change in over a year.

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my simple bare bottom, all-in-one skimmerless tank, I change 1% water daily, use RODI top-up water, new filter floss every 2 days, 8 snails and one hermit, and my water parameters are kept stable with all for reef. No need for carbon or GFO.

I get a thin film on my glass that needs cleaning every day.

1708155727221.jpeg
1708156567838.jpeg

Last edited:

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dusting off rocks and vacuuming sand weekly, along with a strong cleanup crew and regular glass scraping does the trick. my tank needs this especially because i have no mechanical filtration.

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my simple bare bottom, all-in-one skimmerless tank, I change 1% water daily, use RODI top-up water, new filter floss every 2 days, 8 snails and one hermit, and my water parameters are kept stable with all for reef. No need for carbon or GFO.

I get a thin film on my glass that needs cleaning every day.

1708155727221.jpeg
1708156567838.jpeg
Reef tank totally normal

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back