Do you consider a water change to be an effective type of aquarium filtration method?

Do you consider a "water change" to be an effective type of aquarium filtration method?

• Yes

Votes: 361 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 114 21.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 39 7.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 3.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We started talking about aquarium filtration yesterday and someone reminded me that I forgot to add water changes as a filter option. There have been quite a few "tests" done on the effectiveness of water changes as it pertains to the exporting of nutrients or filtering water. Let's discuss!

Do you consider a water change to be an effective type of aquarium filtration method? Why or why not?

image via @CoralReefer2110
71. Water change system done 2 .jpg

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think filter by definition would mean removing something from the water. So by definition. A water change is not filtering anything. It's a replacement.

So a water change or replacement is a known effective way to replenish your aquarium.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the hobby advances, I think water changes will become irrelevant. We have better ways of getting rid of nutrients now. As algae scrubbers, refugiums, and dosing become more refined, water changes lose their importance and just become a labour-intensive way of doing what our equipment can do better and more consistently. That said, they are a good way to replenish elements and remove detritus. I voted "other".

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some way or oportunity to constantly change water, like drop-per-drop, or some way to make tank water go into drain and being replaced with fresh sw or natural sw - then yes, its the best.

10-15% weekly is placebo. Removing 10% of "something" still leaves 90% of that something in water. If something is that is unwanted, harmfull or else, then its all the same if u have 90 or 100 of something....

There is much better, faster and cost effective way for better filtration....

Also, in bigger, older and stable reef, full with colonies of corals, nutrient import is far complicated to achieve than export.....

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes could technically be considered to be "filtration". It does remove some unwanted nutrients and ions and dilute the remaining concentration. In that way, I suppose it it slows the build-up of nutrients and unwanted ions. However, an argument could be made about the efficiency of the activity if being used for filtration purposes. Additionally, export of nutrients i.e. N, P, and DOC seems to be easier to control buy other means than it was in the bad old days. Nutrient levels in my tank are very low. I even add some from time to time, so there is no need for additional export or dilution... but that said... I do water changes and will continue to do so until my corals tell me to quit. I don't know what they are responding to, but when I do a water change, the the corals' response is positive.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a water change as an export mechanism. Siphon out detritus, suck out loose soft corals and little bits of tough to remove algae.

With a small tank(29 gallon) and the way I have designed the system, a occasional water change seems to help. Although I've been doing less frequent water changes to see how it effects my nutrient levels.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I don’t consider them to be as effective as other methods.
For example if I do a 20% water change that’s only 20% of the nutrients addressed.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do weekly and sometimes twice weekly depending on the look of an urchin. But I bought the urchin already large so its an older one. Might be time for a new canary.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back