Do you drip acclimate your SPS?

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per the title, would like to know if you drip acclimate your SPS or just temp acclimate and drop them in?

I have seen/read a lot of SPS gurus stating that they just temp acclimate and throw them in. This strikes me as odd given corals (particularly SPS) are very sensitive to sudden water chemistry changes. Much more so than fish, who have the capacity to sono regulate their bodies. And yet, although everyone seems to agree that fish should drip acclimate, as I said above have seen a lot of pros not doing that to SPS corals. I am not an expert, far from it so would like to hear from you guys!

deaclauderdale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I temp acclimate, but after losing a beautiful Red Planet frag the other day I'm strongly considering acclimation of future coral purchases. I don't think I'll be doing anything as stringent as drip acclimation, will probably just add a 1/4 cup of water until volume is doubled in the bag-or cup-my purchase comes in.

Will be following along to see what more experience hobbyist have to say.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I drip acclimate. Maybe superstition but My sps gurus claim, going from a low alk to high alk tank is stress full. I have no Idea what the alk is in the tank I may have gotten it from so...I drip. Usually 35 to 40 min + and double the water vol, dump half double again.
I haven't lost a frag in acclimation. and it becomes routine.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope.

I take out about of the 4th of the water and replace with display water, wait 10 minutes and repeat until transport water has been turned over.

Dip in display water, rinse and place.

As you can see from an image of my last sps dominated system in my avatar the method worked for me.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope.

I take out about of the 4th of the water and replace with display water, wait 10 minutes and repeat until transport water has been turned over.

Dip in display water, rinse and place.

As you can see from an image of my last sps dominated system in my avatar the method worked for me.
yea, ya kinda got a handle on the sps's

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the temperature of the water in the bag and the water in the tank are not miles apart I'll just drop the corals in. Within the last month I've done this to both a Red Dragon & a Red Planet and haven't had any problems.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, ya kinda got a handle on the sps's

Nawww, it's just a mirage. Every hardcore acropora or sps hobbyist knows you're always one day away from a crash, it's a sickness I tell ya. Nothing like the smell of RTN in morning. :confused:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nawww, it's just a mirage. Every hardcore acropora or sps hobbyist knows you're always one day away from a crash, it's a sickness I tell ya. Nothing like the smell of RTN in morning. :confused:
hahaha.....
I had a weird "something" happen on a transfer the acros didn't like, I got up and it was my NOSE told me something was wrong in the living room.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back