Do you ever smell your skimmer and does it stink?

Does your skimmer ever stink? Like do you ever smell it coming from your sump or where it's housed?

• YES often

Votes: 98 16.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 166 28.6%
  • Hardly Ever

Votes: 153 26.3%
  • Never

Votes: 142 24.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 22 3.8%

• Total voters

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only intentionally smelt it once when a past thread on skimmate smell, someone stated that it smelt like flowers. However, every time I empty my skimmate container I can't avoid smelling that stench. I dump the approximate gallon of stink down the toilet.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got nasal polyps so cant smell a thing lol,on waiting list to get them surgically removed so maybe after this I can give you an answer lol.
Side note,not only corals have polyps, even humans can get them ha ha
That’s disgusting lol. :p

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place a scented dryer sheet on top.

dryer sheet.jpg

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don’t think it smells that bad at all. Kind of an earthy/ nitrogen/ sea foam smell….always smelled that way for the past 20 years.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got nasal polyps so cant smell a thing lol,on waiting list to get them surgically removed so maybe after this I can give you an answer lol.
Side note,not only corals have polyps, even humans can get them ha ha
You'll probably wish you still couldn't smell the skimmer. Wouldn't it be nice if they could do selective surgery? Yes, I want to be able to smell the flowers. No, I don't want to be able to smell my skimmer. ;-)

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only notice it when I put my return pump on feed mode to do a water change and forget to turn the skimmer off... which promptly causes it to overflow and dump the skimmer cup contents directly into the sump. ‍

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered "other" because I don't have a skimmer. The only thing I smell is the earthy/watery aroma of the ocean and even then I have to stick my nose in my tank to smell that. Surprisingly that ocean smell is relaxing in a strange sort of way. Thank goodness I don't have any toxic corals that would make sniffing my tank potentially dangerous. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Now that you mention, mine does not, even when I clean the neck and cup it’s however poop looking lol

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I selected other, I have my skimmer cup drain hose hooked up. I drain it into a small container with the optical sensor hooked up so if the container gets full it shuts down the skimmer. I empty that container into a 5 gallon bucket. Now, removing the lid to the 5 gallon bucket half full of month old skimmate.... Now that reeks. I actually think I see the water boiling / moving.... I assume from bacterial activity. I don't honestly know and don't want to know! I've got 10 gallons of skimmate I was thinking of dumping on the lawn or flowers or something outside.. Unsure if the salt will kill them though.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s disgusting lol. :p
Yup sure is and like 10 years ir so not being able to smell and snooking all the crud up and chest Infections that come from it and during covid the worse with everyone looking at me as continually blowing nose/runny nose and I'm guessing everyone with way they looked at Mr thought I was a walking covid ticking time bomb carrier lol.but just had cat scan for it and on waiting list which can take upto a year for the surgery apparently so hopefully get them removed sooner rather than later.

On a lighter note,maybe whilst I'm waiting I can grow these polyps and put some swanky designer name on them and charge thousands like I see some these corals going for ha ha

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably wish you still couldn't smell the skimmer. Wouldn't it be nice if they could do selective surgery? Yes, I want to be able to smell the flowers. No, I don't want to be able to smell my skimmer. ;-)
Yeah would be nice if everyone smelt of roses ha ha,whatever they smell like idk as been so long not smelling nothing pffft

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I selected other, I have my skimmer cup drain hose hooked up. I drain it into a small container with the optical sensor hooked up so if the container gets full it shuts down the skimmer. I empty that container into a 5 gallon bucket. Now, removing the lid to the 5 gallon bucket half full of month old skimmate.... Now that reeks. I actually think I see the water boiling / moving.... I assume from bacterial activity. I don't honestly know and don't want to know! I've got 10 gallons of skimmate I was thinking of dumping on the lawn or flowers or something outside.. Unsure if the salt will kill them though.
The salt will kill them which is too bad because other things like magnesium, etc. is good for plants in moderate amounts. I only have a 5g so my water changes aren't that much so I dump the old water in my garden but I follow that up with a freshwater rinse to dilute the salt and I never pour it in the same spot each time.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah would be nice if everyone smelt of roses ha ha,whatever they smell like idk as been so long not smelling nothing pffft
Who knows... You might appreciate being able to smell fouls odours again. :) It's always a situation where you have to take the bad with the good. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back