Do you give to charity?

El Grunto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to charities but if anyone ever approaches me asking for a few dollars or change I always tell them that I won't give them money but we can go to a grocery store or a nearby fastfood place and I'll buy them some food. Most don't take me up on the offer but a handful of people have. It's rare that I have cash on me anyway.

gpd124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind, a true legal 501c3 non-profit MUST publish their financials. You can ask for and receive what their percentage donated vs spent actually is. With A Soldier's Child Foundation for example, 87%+ of every dollar donated goes to the children and only the rest goes to staffing, etc.

This is a great point and something I will expand on. All non-profits (501c3), earning $50,000 or more annually, must file a 990 with the IRS. The 990 provides a break down of how they spend their money, using three functional categories (program, fundraising, or management). The 990 also shows the highest compensated employees or board directors.

There is a website that offers you access to 990s of all non-profits. It is free to sign up. Type “GuideStar” into google.

Aside from the above, I would highlight what has already been mentioned. There are many great small non-profit organizations in your local community. These small organizations can use volunteer hours or donations. I would offer that these groups make some of the greatest impact on your local community.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back