Do you glue your corals?

As title suggests… Do you guys glue your corals to your rock scape? I just watched a reef aquaria design video where they were adding corals to one of their builds and they just placed all their corals on the rock and didn’t use any glue. There were also no frag plugs. So this got me wondering how you all approached coral placement.

Glue or not to glue to the rock and do you remove your frag plugs.

If you are not gluing, im curious how long it takes the coral to “latch” on?
I cut about 1” segments of CPVC and putty or glue that to the rock. It fits most frag plugs perfectly and holds large colonies. That way if I need to, dip, frag or move the coral I don’t have to rip it off the rockwork and reglue it. There’s a member on here who sells these nifty little seats (what he calls them) that work pretty much the same but with a benefit of coral being locked into one position. After having AEFW, I would never glue corals to rockwork again if I could help it.
 
In this entire system I believe only one coral is actually epoxied in place
I know a lot is on magnet shelves on the front glass; but if you look past them, the entire tank is covered in corals. The only one fixed in place is the teal hammer showing through the center
50EC348B-72BC-4FD6-AA99-94BBF75D074A.jpeg
 
Last edited:
In this entire system I believe only one coral is actually epoxied in place
I know a lot is on magnet shelves on the front glass; but if you look past them, the entire tank is covered in corals. The only one fixed in place is the real hammer showing through the center
50EC348B-72BC-4FD6-AA99-94BBF75D074A.jpeg
This is pleasant chaos. hahaha
 
I cut about 1” segments of CPVC and putty or glue that to the rock. It fits most frag plugs perfectly and holds large colonies. That way if I need to, dip, frag or move the coral I don’t have to rip it off the rockwork and reglue it. There’s a member on here who sells these nifty little seats (what he calls them) that work pretty much the same but with a benefit of coral being locked into one position. After having AEFW, I would never glue corals to rockwork again if I could help it.
A pic would help, but I assume yiu mean you cut a smal 1” pvc pipe i to segments them glue that to your rock and then simply place your frag plug into that pvc pipe that is glued to the rock?

Sounds like a neat setup so it would allow you to easily pull the coral out for any maintenance but at the same time secure it enough so that it will not blow over from flow or get knocked over from urchins or fish.
 
A pic would help, but I assume yiu mean you cut a smal 1” pvc pipe i to segments them glue that to your rock and then simply place your frag plug into that pvc pipe that is glued to the rock?

Sounds like a neat setup so it would allow you to easily pull the coral out for any maintenance but at the same time secure it enough so that it will not blow over from flow or get knocked over from urchins or fish.
IMG_2290.jpeg

Exactly. If you putty it like this it could hold a full size colony with no problem.
 
In this entire system I believe only one coral is actually epoxied in place
I know a lot is on magnet shelves on the front glass; but if you look past them, the entire tank is covered in corals. The only one fixed in place is the teal hammer showing through the center
50EC348B-72BC-4FD6-AA99-94BBF75D074A.jpeg
Beautiful
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new