Do you have bristle worms in display tank

Do you have bristle worms in your display tank?

• Yes

Votes: 31 93.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

MR BACKHAND

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have bristle worms in your display tank? How do you keep them out? I currently do not have any. Is it realistic to think I can keep this tank bristle worm free? My tank is all new dry rock and has only been up for a week.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find them all of the time. As said above, I believe they are a necessary part of the eco-system.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have way to many. I don't have any places where there are no bristle worms. I can't keep any crustaceans any more because when they molt, the worms cover the thing and eat it.
Occasionally I throw in a trap to remove the large ones. I am sure I have thousands and if I move something especially a sponge that covers everything, dozens of them emerge.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have way to many. I don't have any places where there are no bristle worms. I can't keep any crustaceans any more because when they molt, the worms cover the thing and eat it.
Occasionally I throw in a trap to remove the large ones. I am sure I have thousands and if I move something especially a sponge that covers everything, dozens of them emerge.
Would you mind describing your trap?
(I need to catch a Fireworm.)
Thanks

jk1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they usually come out of everywhere when I feed reef roids. Some people don’t like them but from what I’ve read only a few of them are detrimental... the fireworm is one of those. Although some
of the others the larger they get the more problematic they can be.

Fastball16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tons in both my fudge and dt. When I pull some Cheto out to feed here are always some bristle in there. My melanarus doesn’t even touch them.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
That is just a plastic container and on one end there is a small plastic funnel. For that one I used one of those things florists use to put a carnation in for your lapel like if you are in a wedding party. They will give you a few.
Put in a piece of fish, clam or frozen fish food in a dark place overnight.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might think you have none. You just haven't seen them. They are there unless your tank is brand new.

OP
OP
MR BACKHAND

MR BACKHAND

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might think you have none. You just haven't seen them. They are there unless your tank is brand new.
Yeah main tank 120 gallons is 100% new with all new rock and sand.
I also have a 20 gallon full of live rock that I was going to use to help seed the new tank but there are bristle worms in the rock.
I was just curious to see if it is realistic to think that I could keep the tank pest free.

OP
OP
MR BACKHAND

MR BACKHAND

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
DF027599-7D2B-4E8C-9FD7-9AFAB2EF40FA.jpeg

Here is a trap I 3D printed. You can find it on thingiverse. Caught 15 bristle worms in its first use . 57342C1A-188B-4EAD-83A0-81473A198EB3.jpeg

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DF027599-7D2B-4E8C-9FD7-9AFAB2EF40FA.jpeg

Here is a trap I 3D printed. You can find it on thingiverse. Caught 15 bristle worms in its first use . 57342C1A-188B-4EAD-83A0-81473A198EB3.jpeg
Very nice. I found this one which is different: Bristleworm Trap by bo0ks - Thingiverse
I just made one out of a bottle so will see if that works, but will keep yours in mind.

I was recently reading about 3-D printing. May I ask which plastic you use and how do you know if it is safe for aquarium use (especially around sensitive SPS)?
Thanks.
Jim

OP
OP
MR BACKHAND

MR BACKHAND

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I found this one which is different: Bristleworm Trap by bo0ks - Thingiverse
I just made one out of a bottle so will see if that works, but will keep yours in mind.

I was recently reading about 3-D printing. May I ask which plastic you use and how do you know if it is safe for aquarium use (especially around sensitive SPS)?
Thanks.
Jim
I use transparent PETG. All of the research I’ve done says PETG is reef safe. I like the transparent because I feel that the dye they use to color the PETG could possibly leach into the system... this is just a personal opinion.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back