Do You Have To Heat The Saltwater When Cycling?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting up a frag tank that will eventually share a sump with my main display. Getting a head start on the frag tank and starting to cycle.

Question - Do you have to heat the saltwater while you are cycling? Probably be 2 months before I have display and frag tank combined into one sump.

Thanks!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer probaby.

Assuming the cycling you are doing is to grow a bacterial population in the tank. There are different shorts of bacteria that thrive in different temperature ranges. Unless your tank will stay in reef temps (72-78) without a heater, best practice is to heat it to support the life you are going for.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer probaby.

Assuming the cycling you are doing is to grow a bacterial population in the tank. There are different shorts of bacteria that thrive in different temperature ranges. Unless your tank will stay in reef temps (72-78) without a heater, best practice is to heat it to support the life you are going for.
Ok - So what’s the long answer?

Just kidding! Happy New Year!

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. Bacteria are pretty hardy, so it might be fine if it's not an extreme temp. Having said that, I have always used a heater as I cycle my tanks. I know some organisms are much more active in warmer water and I assume the same to be true for bacteria.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting up a frag tank that will eventually share a sump with my main display. Getting a head start on the frag tank and starting to cycle.

Question - Do you have to heat the saltwater while you are cycling? Probably be 2 months before I have display and frag tank combined into one sump.

Thanks!

No, the cycle will take longer if the water is fairly cold though.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag tank is in my basement - so probably around 65 degrees.

I kept live rock in my basement and it’s cold in Wisconsin. I immediately set a tank up with it at one point, no issue.

Actually there was living starfish and worms in it at that temp just living the life. Also a single whelk.

Back