Do you keep your tank more open or more packed?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i like overstocked and cluttered
High Quality Conspiracy Keanu Blank Meme Template

i wonder... are we.....reef hoarders?!?!?!

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of different tanks on here, some tanks that are more open (not as packed full of coral and fish) and other tanks that are just filled with all sorts of coral, fish etc. I am wondering do you choose to have a more open tank or one that is filled and why? Curious to know what everyone says!
If it is a mixed tank, a lot of fish, most reef fish easy to keep form territories, solitary, as a pair or in groups. The principle is that if their safety is disturbed they can retreat to the reef and hide. If there is insufficient space, aggressive behavior will not only be displayed but actually carried out. Group formations such as Anthias need a lot of swimming space and if you want to study their natural behavior they need a very high aquarium (min 100cm for a small group) and at least 50cm swimming space between the reef where they can hide and the glass. Then of course there are also those who, given the limited space, consider the entire aquarium as their territory. And then there are the foraging species that need sufficient swimming space, even in the invisible area, otherwise they will constantly swim back and forth and show unnatural behavior and to avoid this a large to very large aquarium is required. For maximum bioload it is important to consider their size at maturity. It is up to you, the person in charge and manager, to provide sufficient information regarding each species you intend to purchase and never be tempted by impulse purchases.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm full.
Stuff grows and I hate to cut it. I have increased my fish stock to try and up my zero nitrates for 8 months.
I ordered a 150g and started to build rock structures with the NSA theme. I will be incorporating caves and hide outs into the bases of the legs or where rocks come together. I like the NSA look but also think it's important for the fish to have bolt holes.
Is going to be sad too break down the 10yo 75g but also excited to see what the 150 holds for the future.

20240127_132233.jpg 20240127_132254.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back