Do you name your snails and other inverts?

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, does anyone else name their snails and other inverts, or can you even tell yours apart? If so let me hear about them!

I know I do name mine and can tell them apart, but I wonder if I'm an outlier here. :face-with-tears-of-joy: Right now I don't have any fish, and my setup is taking longer than I would have liked, so I think I've become overly attached to the snails... By now they all have gotten names, and I've started to be able to pick out their personalities, sleeping spots, and various little weird quirks.

Jose, Jesus, and Juan are the 3 turbo snails. Jose is the biggest and most derpy snail. He is always falling and crashing and knocking anything over that isn't glued down. He also sleeps wherever he is when he's tired. Just shoves his front area into the closest rock crevis and takes a few hour nap before waking up and powering on. Jesus is the middle-sized one, and he's the bestest/smartest boy. He's the one that will eat some of the longer hair algae, probably spends the most active time grazing around, and knows how to get into tighter spots to suck out the algae from places the others miss. Then Juan is the littlest (I call him "little Juan"), and he's usually somewhere on the back glass and the most shy. He's also the laziest, for the turbo, still eats a lot but nothing compared to the other two. He seems to though have this spot next to the powerhead where he likes to sleep or go whenever he gets scared of something (which is a lot of things).

Ed, Edd, and Eddy are my 3 nassarius snails. Ed is the lightest and smallest and spends most of his time in the middle tank buried under the sand. He will come out for food in the evenings, but he doesn't seem to go very far from his prime real estate and cares less when I feed (he knows some will get trapped in his favorite spots for when he's hungry I guess). He seems to be the least picky, as he will eat the first things made of meat nearest him. Edd is the largest and spends most of his time buried in the sand near a good pocket by the front glass, but he seems to be pickier and will travel farther for fresh pellets or mysis shrimp when they are available. He's def my "zombie" snail that only comes out at feeding time. Though, he seems to find his fill pretty quickly and get back to his little area in the sand and doesn't seem to touch anything that has been sitting there too long. Eddy is my explorer. He seems to like the really decomposing stuff, and I'll find him moving around more throughout the day looking for food. You can not use him as a guide if they are hungry, cause it's not like he will touch the fresh stuff anyways. He will eventually find whatever week-old rotting haul he's been looking for and go bury himself in the sand under this larger rock by the back. Though, he does it in the silliest way. He climbs up the tank side, and "leaps" off to smash his face in the sand. Then he does a little wiggle of his back end and tucks himself in.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
my GF has named the 3 "designer" hermit crabs: electric blue knuckle hermit, scarlet red hermit, and halloween hermit. she's named them billy joel, billy bob, billy ray. beyond that i don't name any, and she hasn't named any other inverts.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, but only some of the more memorable ones. This is "Bruce" the sand dollar ("I'm Batman").

E83C443D-C480-4189-851B-63BADE4BDDD0.jpeg

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the party on this post but absolutely. I name almost everything aside from large "groups" of snails and hermits. For me, I have one large white speckled hermit named Gorbathrax the ReefBreaker. He was an accident and came in a pack of scarlet hermits. He is not reefsafe, and will get way too big for my mixed reef 14 gallon nano. I love him, but he will need to be rehomed as I do not have a sump to put him in.

Then there is the 18 astrea snails, 6 banded trochus, and 13ish scarlet and blue hermits. These are collectively referred to as "The Boys" captained by the big man Tiger Conch himself - Dirty Mike.

I also have a fire shrimp but I can't think of a good name for him. I was gonna name him Sashimi but that feels too messed up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back