Do you normally use PPT or specific gravity when testing your salinity?

Reef_Hobbyist

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 7, 2015
Messages
329
Reaction score
218
Location
Stuart, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My digital salinity checker always reports 33 and 34 PPT as 1.025.

Or saying that backwards, 1.025 will be either 33 or 34. Not sure if it is an accuracy thing or if it is a rounding thing since it is using 3 decimal places instead of 4.

So if I use PPT I feel like my salinity is changing but if I use specific gravity then it feels like it is more stable.

PPT Salinity Checker
32 1.0241 1.024
33 1.0249 1.025
34 1.0256 1.025
35 1.0264 1.026
36 1.0271 1.027
 
I use PPT. I use a refractomer and it is a little easier to see the gradations on the PPT scale. I try to keep it at 35 ppt
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new