do you stop dosing after a water change?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so I dose Alk/Calc/Mag (Red Sea) with a Red Sea doser daily (love it. Super easy set up and great product!). After a water change, should I let my doser stay off for a few days as the waters change also brings in those elements? Or do you not worry about it and just let the doser do it’s thing?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to know the answer to this is to test your Alk (other 2 don't matter imo ) before your water change and after the WC. Then you'll know how much is replaced by the WC. This is what I did anyway and I found that my 15% weekly water change did not sufficiently replace my Alk so I continue to dose on WC days as well, but I decrease the ALK by 2ml from 6ml to 4ml. Small 20g tank with mainly Acros and I dose ESV Bionic manually.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only test alk and try to match my freshly mixed Tropic Marin to my tank. I use sodium bicarb to match. If my doser is falling behind, I'll maybe add a bit more sodium bicarb until my all for reef dosing can catch up. I know some salts like Red Sea pro have much higher levels of dkh, which I would personally find annoying. Is that the situation your in?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if the water going in raises your parameters past the numbers your targeting. I use a salt that matches the parameters I have my tank set to, this way water changes do not cause my ALK,CA or MAG to fluctuate

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 77 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back