Do you think my floor will hold.

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im moved into my uncles apartment build its a older house. I plan to put a 75 gallon saltwater tank in it. Up against a wall that I believe to be load barring since on the other side of the wall is outside.

I have about a 21 gallon sump as well with 5 gallon auto top off 60 pounds of sand and 40 pounds of rock. Plus all my pumps and stuff. Just wondering if you guys think its to heavy i figure with the tank, stand, sand, rock, water, sump, auto top off, and the skimmer and pumps and stuff we are looking at just under 800 pounds the tank is 48 inchs long so it should span over 3 floor joists and my stand is not just 4 legs its all around contacting the floor.

Let me know what you guys think.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im moved into my uncles apartment build its a older house. I plan to put a 75 gallon saltwater tank in it. Up against a wall that I believe to be load barring since on the other side of the wall is outside.

I have about a 21 gallon sump as well with 5 gallon auto top off 60 pounds of sand and 40 pounds of rock. Plus all my pumps and stuff. Just wondering if you guys think its to heavy i figure with the tank, stand, sand, rock, water, sump, auto top off, and the skimmer and pumps and stuff we are looking at just under 800 pounds the tank is 48 inchs long so it should span over 3 floor joists and my stand is not just 4 legs its all around contacting the floor.

Let me know what you guys think.
What is the floor made of?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming hardwood or play wood on top of floor joists Idk what type of wood it would be but since it's an older house I would assume it's a hard word.
Is it on the first floor? If so there would be concret under there too.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine, but it would be useful to know which way the floor joist are running. Ideally the tank with run across multiple joists instead of being setup up in the same direction as the floor joists.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend checking with the owner about it. Many times, in older homes, there are alterations made through the years by owners. Many times, no one will know about these changes until things are taken apart. I am a home remodeler and have seen this happen many times when remodeling homes. A lot of the changes I have come across are often dangerous alterations. Usually they are structural, electrical or plumbing changes and some of the things I've seen would not only never pass code but are, in deed, hazardous.
Anyway, just my .02 but it's always a good idea to check with the landlord.

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine, but it would be useful to know which way the floor joist are running. Ideally the tank with run across multiple joists instead of being setup up in the same direction as the floor joists.
I know which way the joists go it will be on lost barring going across 3 joists not running along them.

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend checking with the owner about it. Many times, in older homes, there are alterations made through the years by owners. Many times, no one will know about these changes until things are taken apart. I am a home remodeler and have seen this happen many times when remodeling homes. A lot of the changes I have come across are often dangerous alterations. Usually they are structural, electrical or plumbing changes and some of the things I've seen would not only never pass code but are, in deed, hazardous.
Anyway, just my .02 but it's always a good idea to check with the landlord.
Landlord is my uncle. He just said it a old house so we have to be carefull.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say unless there were any weird serious structural issues or shoddy framing repairs you should be perfectly fine

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is concerned about this cartoon-like scenario where the tank drops through the floor.

The likely scenario is that it will slightly tilt toward the weakest part of the floor. And this will put uneven pressure on one of the tank's panels, which will cause the nightmare.

Q6kR9s.gif

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is concerned about this cartoon-like scenario where the tank drops through the floor.

The likely scenario is that it will slightly tilt toward the weakest part of the floor. And this will put uneven pressure on one of the tank's panels, which will cause the nightmare.

Q6kR9s.gif
so to counter thatg ill toss checking if its staying level with my weekly routine

MarineGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be important to assure stand is level prior to filling in both back to front and side to side. When filling it ...fill it 1/4 then recheck level .... etc etc etc.

Any change ... Stop !!!

Also good idea to assess what is directly below the tank on the first wall ... Would never hurt to brace under it if possible.

Good idea to double check insurance coverage .....

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be important to assure stand is level prior to filling in both back to front and side to side. When filling it ...fill it 1/4 then recheck level .... etc etc etc.

Any change ... Stop !!!

Also good idea to assess what is directly below the tank on the first wall ... Would never hurt to brace under it if possible.

Good idea to double check insurance coverage .....
I have renters insurance so we are good on that. And underneath where the tank going is another apartment and the tenants told me there is only a desk underneath but I cant put a beam in there

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro tip from a guy who has flooded his apt multiple times: buy the best shop vac you can afford. Sooner or later you'll spill water on your floor by the tank. The shop vac will help save your floors from swelling/buckling/rotting. Also, if you can get your hands on a dehumidifier, they do a great job of taking out moisture from the floors that the shop vac cant get to.

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro tip from a guy who has flooded his apt multiple times: buy the best shop vac you can afford. Sooner or later you'll spill water on your floor by the tank. The shop vac will help save your floors from swelling/buckling/rotting. Also, if you can get your hands on a dehumidifier, they do a great job of taking out moisture from the floors that the shop vac cant get to.
Great tips man I was honestly thinking of pulling up the carpet and putting plastic down in a wide area so it does touch the floors.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 and lots of extra towels, I have a whole closet full of aquarium towels that get used more than I would like

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back