Do you use a fan on your tank?

I always used a fan on my sump that would turn off and on based on tank temp. IMO you never need a chiller for a regular reef tank nowadays since most tanks are running LED lights.
 
Any pictures of it before you put it in place? I wouldn't mind seeing more angles.

Here you go. The split view here should let you see how the halves come together and provide a duct for the air to blow across the tank. I can see air causing ripples across all 4 feet of the tank when the pumps are off! There is also a picture showing one with and without a fan installed.


IMG_6917.jpeg
IMG_6918.jpeg
 
Here you go. The split view here should let you see how the halves come together and provide a duct for the air to blow across the tank. I can see air causing ripples across all 4 feet of the tank when the pumps are off! There is also a picture showing one with and without a fan installed.


IMG_6917.jpeg
IMG_6918.jpeg

I think this is a sweet idea.
 
I have a fan blowing directly onto the water in the sump, but it doesn't work in my opinion. It reaches 32 degrees in recent days. Should I put a fan on top of DT instead?
 
I have a fan blowing directly onto the water in the sump, but it doesn't work in my opinion. It reaches 32 degrees in recent days. Should I put a fan on top of DT instead?

Blowing across the surface is much more effective than hitting it perpendicularly and causing turbulence. You’ll see better results that way, especially since the display is a larger surface area and doesn’t have baffles that interrupt air flow.
 
Yup, my fan almost broke my tank too lol.

If i could post a video here, i’d show my 10” fan falling 3 feet from the ceiling onto my radion mounted on a kessil a arm on my reefer 170g2. After a year of it hanging up, it completely broke off it’s mount and fell directly onto the light.

Happened this past friday morning.
Didn’t break the tank or light somehow someway.
This is danger to the livestock too. A contractor was working in our house and knocked a Walmart cooling fan into my 40 gal basement frag tank, but he didn't notice. The live current made the copper components dissolve quickly and wiped out everything.
 
I followed all of Harold's advice on making this fan, but I modified the housing slightly in Blendr to fit my Eurobrace and it works like a charm. Check out my temp before and after fan install (I have fan set to turn on based on the seasonal table):

123.jpeg
qwe.jpeg
 
I followed all of Harold's advice on making this fan, but I modified the housing slightly in Blendr to fit my Eurobrace and it works like a charm. Check out my temp before and after fan install (I have fan set to turn on based on the seasonal table):

123.jpeg
qwe.jpeg

Looks great! So effective.

I also made an ‘extended snout version to get over the 3” acrylic trim of a mesh lid.
IMG_9552.jpeg
 
Looks great! So effective.

I also made an ‘extended snout version to get over the 3” acrylic trim of a mesh lid.
IMG_9552.jpeg

You want the airflow moving over the water surface, not pointing at it. Evaporation is driven by gas exchange at the surface. The goal with the fan is driving evaporative cooling, not convective.
 
do I use a fan, lol! your fan right I use a fan!!!! I actually use 6 120mm fans 5 hannging from my lights and a small desk style fan "vornado" and one 120mm fan directed at my sump, they go on all the time via controller to bring down the tank temperature they run year round throughout the day. only the fans come on the heaters rarely do almost never.
I came across this older thread looking for a fan for my tank. Looks like we have the same light setup and I run hydros as well. Could you share what brand fans you’re using and fan mounts? Tia
 
During the summers I often use a fan blowing across the top of my reef tank as part of the temperature control plan. The fan that I have been using for many years just recently stopped working and my replacement fan arrived today. While I was setting it up - it is controlled my my Hydros - I was wondering who else uses a fan on their tank? If so, what type of fan do you use? Do you have it on a controller or timer?

Just adding for anyone who is researching:
- I found a thread on here titled “air gyre” and knocked it off. That the 3 smaller fans above the water. They really do help.
- I have two 18” metal industrial fans on the other end set to high.

- both of the above fan setups are on my apex. They are controlled via thermostat, except they are always on when my halides are on.

- I have a whole house dehumidifier rated for 2,200 sq ft in my 180 sq ft fishroom.

- I have a 12k BTU portable AC in my fishroom soon to be switched out for a mini split system in a couple weeks. Portables aren’t great in a fish room. Heat rises cool air sinks. There is 5 feet height different between my lighting rack and the portable AC vents.

- my issue is a feature and benefit to my system. It’s my very intense lighting package. 4 halides, T5s and 8 XR30s. Display tank is 96x36. I also have a grow out tank with halides and a LED too.

- I’ve been riding the razors edge and not in the good side of the razor. I keep my tank heaters set to 76 degrees. My heaters haven’t been on since late January. Tank sits around 77. A “good” normal day sees it float between 77 and 80 then back down to 77. Now, if no one is home and my nests determine it’s time to save some money, the AC in my house goes from 70 to 76. The tank instantly jumps up an additional 1-2 degrees. My lights start shutting down at 80.8.

- the humidifier puts out decent heat. I don’t have the house AC vents in my fishroom open. My tank is a peninsula that straddles the 2 living spaces.

As my system sits today, it has about 525 gallons. I am evaporating 12 gallons a day! I pull no air from one living space to the other. I have 2 vents in my fishroom that take fish room air and push it outside. Replacement air gets into the room via cracks, coming and going, gaps around the tank, etc etc

Fans won’t get me all the way. Next week I am adding a 48x48 display frag tank (-60g) and a second overflow sump 24x48 to my system, plus a 60g cryptic. My evap is going to go up even greater once I get this frag tank swapped out. The fans are rather loud also. So I went and purchased a chiller, it will be undersized, yes. So, it’s rated at 500G. Considering I only need to pull the water down a handful of degrees, I did the math and it shouldn’t be an issue. Chiller will be remotely installed outside. As I type this all my doors and canopy to my fish room are closed and I am about 25 feet away and it sounds very loud from here.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7181.jpeg
    IMG_7181.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7182.jpeg
    IMG_7182.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7183.jpeg
    IMG_7183.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7184.jpeg
    IMG_7184.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7185.png
    IMG_7185.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 26
Chiller didn’t trick for me. Also adding a mini split unit helped too, plus it is so so so much quieter now.

I’m not sure what you mean by “didn’t trick”.

Heat is just a math equation. A chiller works to reduce heat. Did you choose an undersized chiller, install it incorrectly, or notice if it was damaged?
 
I’m not sure what you mean by “didn’t trick”.

Heat is just a math equation. A chiller works to reduce heat. Did you choose an undersized chiller, install it incorrectly, or notice if it was damaged?
Did the trick. Sorry.
 
But, you are correct on your math. I have 525ish gallons. I was peaking out just shy of 81 half way through my halide cycle. This 1.5 hp unit was rated with a max of 500g, but, when you look at the pull down curve, at the simplest I only needed 3.5 degrees to be pulled down, so I went with this far far less expensive chiller. Not only did it pull down the 3.5 degrees, over a couple weeks I was effortlessly able to get my temps from 78 to 75. Now all my fans are set for backup if something were to happen to my chiller. Which I am using, back to your math, an eb4 since it has the 12 amp outlet. This was rated at 10.9amps max, the eb4 is telling me it’s maxing at 9 right now, so well under tolerance. I did pop the EB4 on fire up, but never popped the breaker again. 30 amps of power consumption for my lights are now baking away with a rock solid temp line. But the silence of no fans was instantly noticed by the house.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new