Do you vacuum your sandbed? If so, what’s your method?

Do you vacuum your sandbed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100+ Zig Zag Periwinkles, 6 Limpets, 100+ Dwarf Ceriths, 6 Trochus Snails very small, 10 Nerite Snails, 8 Marginella Snails, 3 assorted smaller Conch's, 3 fuzzy Chitons, 12 Nassarius Vibex snails, and a Brittle Star. Seems like a lot but most are small and some do not survive. I must have a couple hundred snail eggs on the back glass, some have hatched. The zigzags are .15 cents each, Dwarf Ceriths are .17 cents each. I get them at ReefCleaners.com, they are great.

Almost forgot, NO crabs!
Wow! Just wow! I have like 4 nassarius, 4 trochas, 4 astreas and 2 tiger conchs. But my tank is much smaller than yours at 32g.

I’ve been wondering what else I could put in my tank that would clean the sand. The only snail I believe that actually cleans the sand in my tank is the tiger conchs.

FizxVix3n

Feb2018 1st SW tank - BC29
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I submerge the entire flosser, there is a water reservoir on the bottom that you do not need. It has several tips, I use the tip with the brush so I don't damage my coral. Rechargeable of course, I blow of the rocks and stick the tip in the substrate and mix it up on occasion. I have like 300 assorted snails in my 75, most of them are tiny at 1/8 of an inch and keep the sand pretty clean. At night my glass is covered with them, during the day most of them are buried in the sand. The snails do most of the work for me. Also, when I blast the rocks and sand the water gets very cloudy, so I use an internal polishing filter to help filter out all the detritus and makes the water clear faster and removes the stuff from the aquarium. The PF is not left in tank, when the water is clear I remove the filter, clean and save for next treatment.
Dude, that’s brilliant. Never thought of that! Thank you! Time for a target run!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Just wow! I have like 4 nassarius, 4 trochas, 4 astreas and 2 tiger conchs. But my tank is much smaller than yours at 32g.

I’ve been wondering what else I could put in my tank that would clean the sand. The only snail I believe that actually cleans the sand in my tank is the tiger conchs.
You can still get a bunch of the smaller ones, Zig Zag Periwinkle and Dwarf Ceriths. Limpets are cool too.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, that’s brilliant. Never thought of that! Thank you! Time for a target run!
Thank you. i got the Dental Flosser idea from a member here, the polishing filter method is what I have been doing for years on my fresh water tank, I stir up the gravel and use the quick filter to help polish the water. On my 75 gallon fresh water cichlid tank I can get away with few water changes, only when my nitrates get too high I will change 50-60% every other month.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nassarius snails do not eat algae, just leftover fish food. Tiger Conch's I believe get up to 3 inches and they say one for every 30 gallons.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back