Does a 10G coral QT need testing for Alk/Calcium?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral QT got its glass a bit scratched up, so I'm thinking of making into a fish QT. I'd like to replace it with a Waterbox 10G, but I'm unsure.
Is a coral quarantine tank that small gonna need weekly testing for Alk and such, even if it has only a few corals in it?

Thanks!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral QT got its glass a bit scratched up, so I'm thinking of making into a fish QT. I'd like to replace it with a Waterbox 10G, but I'm unsure.
Is a coral quarantine tank that small gonna need weekly testing for Alk and such, even if it has only a few corals in it?

Thanks!
It should be the same levels as your primary tank so when you move stuff over they acclimate well and don't go into shock

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be the same levels as your primary tank so when you move stuff over they acclimate well and don't go into shock
That's fine. I just don't want to have to test the water weekly because, even if it has only a few corals in it, the water volume is small.

I assume others will have a 10G coral QT and can chime in.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fine. I just don't want to have to test the water weekly because, even if it has only a few corals in it, the water volume is small.

I assume others will have a 10G coral QT and can chime in.
Corals in there for about 2 weeks or maybe 30 days? I would only check alk every week. Are you going to broadcast feed them maybe once a week? Water change once a month?

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 10g coral QT tank, and I rarely test the water. However, I change about 50% of the water with water from my DT every week so it stays pretty close to my DT's parameters. Seems to work for me, but your mileage may vary.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back