does a fang blennies bite hurt?

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does a fang blennies (kamohara blenny, canary blenny, etc.) bite hurt? what does it actually feel like when you get bit? does it hurt? do you need to put your hand under hot water, etc. I'm thinking about getting one for my 40 but idk if I want one if it has the potential of hurting me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No…. Clownfish are worse
Don’t let the word fang intimidate you

Fatrip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s doubtful they will break the skin. if they do, triple antibiotic ointment would be fine.

hubcap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most likely, yes, imo. i agree with @Fatrip

but im not a doctor. others will chime in, for sure, if there are any life threatening concerns we need to know about.

if it were me.....and i was allergic to things like bee stings , or need to have an epi pen around, I'd treat it with concern.

just my $.02 adjusted for inflation.
how big is this 'fanger?"

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does a fang blennies (kamohara blenny, canary blenny, etc.) bite hurt? what does it actually feel like when you get bit? does it hurt? do you need to put your hand under hot water, etc. I'm thinking about getting one for my 40 but idk if I want one if it has the potential of hurting me.

:)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I thought one was dead in a shipping bag. I reached in to remove it and it bit me. It was like a pinch that makes you jump back… I had two small pinholes that bled a few drops of blood.

No lingering pain. No special care.. just washed my hands.

They don’t bite you when you are working in the tank or anything. They just do it in defense if you were to grab them.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been bitten by a curious fang blenny while cleaning a tank. Got me between my fingers, they would not break skin anywhere else. It felt like getting stuck by a juvenile freshwater catfish. Not painful, just an annoying sting..

~Michael

Back