Does alfagrog absorb copper?

Vaeaelen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Is it safe to use alfagrog as Biological filtration for the QT or will it absorb copper (For a later release)?

Thanks!

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Is it safe to use alfagrog as Biological filtration for the QT or will it absorb copper (For a later release)?

Thanks!
I have not seen this product in the states. The information on the website doesn't specify the ingredienst other than to describe it as ceramic clay. Whether it absorbs copper depends upon the specific ingredients. If any calcareous substances (e.g. calcium) is contained, copper will be absorbed. You'll need to check my the manufacturer to determine what might be in the product.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Thanks!

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

As an "inert ceramic" as they describe it, it would be fine for use with amine-based copper products like coppersafe or copper power. With ionic copper, I'm not so sure - I haven't tried it myself in the US, but ionic copper can "plate out" on any surface, and the more surface area, the more plating will be seen. The amount of plating is less than you see with the absorption of copper into calcareous material as @threebuoys noted.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! My apologies, alfagrog is made up to 4.5% of CaO according to:

CaO is not inert, so I'm not sure why they advertise that their product is an inert ceramic. You probably should not use any copper products with this.

Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back