Does algae bloom cause cloudy water?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thats alot to digest. I only use a filter floss as mechanical filter, a bag of carbon and a bag of bio media. Is there any additional filtration medias you suggest?
Hang on protein skimmer such as Ice Cap K1-50 and/or green Machine UV filter

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry I have thousands of dollars wrapped up in my tank. I know people are less fortunate right now with what is going on. But water changes will not help your bloom and all the other stuff is good skimmer refugium but the problem at hand needs a uv sterilizer. If you can not afford one .you will have a cloudy tank until the algea consume what is in your tank . Silicates, nitrate phosphates. When it is mostly gone it might clear up. I had a green fog in my first SW tank I had a skimmer . That did not help . I did not have rodi system and was running just well water . I could barely see my fish. Got a uv sterilizer water was clear over night. Left it on for a month took it off . Then my worst nightmare started green hair algea. Only good thing about it was it kept my nutrients down.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A disruption in waht sorts? does it bring a negative effect to my live stock?

It could be anything, something died, an unusual response by bacteria, a sudden change in temp, salinity or one of the parameters. What I would look out for is rapid breathing in the fish as that would indicate a drop in oxygen.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a refugium for that .you think a skimmer is expensive LOL.
Isnt chaeto cheaper than a skimmer? I live in Malaysia so maybe some items are more expensive than others. What do I need for chaeto? Ill reconsider a cheap(maybe? if that is possible) UV light to battle the cloudiness and remove it when its all cleared up

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be anything, something died, an unusual response by bacteria, a sudden change in temp, salinity or one of the parameters. What I would look out for is rapid breathing in the fish as that would indicate a drop in oxygen.
Fish seem to be breathing fine. The only clear evidence is that the water is cloudy and my hammer coral is really ticked off :/ Im just afraid that itll die off

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the water it cloudy not green .add some carbon and wait it out.try to get good water movement at the top of your tank for more air.

Nerdist Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know your phosphate level? In my tank it gets cloudy when phosphate is elevated. Changing out GFO gets me back to crystal clear water. In this scenario bacteria population is increasing because of the food source. Use whichever method suits you to reduce phosphates (if it is indeed high).

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know your phosphate level? In my tank it gets cloudy when phosphate is elevated. Changing out GFO gets me back to crystal clear water. In this scenario bacteria population is increasing because of the food source. Use whichever method suits you to reduce phosphates (if it is indeed high).
Wym by GFO?

Back