Does anyone mix fake and real corals?

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a two month old 15gal nano reef with a total of five tiny frags (three zoas, one candy cane, one duncan). I assume they'll eventually grow out, but as of right now, my tank is underwhelming.

When it comes to aquascaping, has anyone had any success in mixing in some fake corals with their real ones? I imagine this probably wouldn't work with the more fleshy and wavy corals, but there must be some convincing SPS fakes! I'm probably never going to attempt a real SPS anyway because I hear they'll die if you sneeze while on the same continent as them, so this might be a good way to introduce the look.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nano with fake resin corals take a look
5FA699BE-EDE1-4756-8B9F-2F5EA4BE9265.jpeg

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nano with fake resin corals take a look
5FA699BE-EDE1-4756-8B9F-2F5EA4BE9265.jpeg
that actually looks quite nice, were they hard to keep clean? meaning did they just turn into live rock after a while and have all the different micro organisms on it blocking the colors?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I currently have a two month old 15gal nano reef with a total of five tiny frags (three zoas, one candy cane, one duncan). I assume they'll eventually grow out, but as of right now, my tank is underwhelming.

When it comes to aquascaping, has anyone had any success in mixing in some fake corals with their real ones? I imagine this probably wouldn't work with the more fleshy and wavy corals, but there must be some convincing SPS fakes! I'm probably never going to attempt a real SPS anyway because I hear they'll die if you sneeze while on the same continent as them, so this might be a good way to introduce the look.
I did and the fake was outdone by the real ones as far as what remained. Incidentally, these pieces are from our friends of the show "Tanked".

1694715253960.png
1694715263027.png

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny some didn’t seam
not to get any thing on them and others were a magnet for algae all to do with the surface texture

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back