Coral placement and suggestions?

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the following inhabitants. Any suggestions on where I should place or move corals?

Candy cane coral
Zoanthids
Kenya tree leathers
Clove polyps
Micromussa
Duncan coral
Hammer coral
Frogspawn coral

IMG_9640.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Me thinks the bubble tip will decide!!!

That said, might be helpful to know what kind of light (PAR readings would be ideal) and flow you are working with. That said:

Candy Cane- I would break it off the plug and glue it where Duncan is
Zoanthids- I would place near the sand, probably that flat rock face on the right
Kenya Tree- on a random rock in the back on the left (think I already see it back there)
Clove Polyps- I would throw away. . .
Micromussa- I keep mine on the bottom, but bottom or middle somewhere should be fine
Duncan- I would break it off the plug and glue it where the Candy Cane is. . .

Top left and right would be good for some sweet SPS corals (circled in red below)

Sorry I got bored so made this:

1712111572194.png

OP
OP
Z

zyrzyxen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me thinks the bubble tip will decide!!!

That said, might be helpful to know what kind of light (PAR readings would be ideal) and flow you are working with. That said:

Candy Cane- I would break it off the plug and glue it where Duncan is
Zoanthids- I would place near the sand, probably that flat rock face on the right
Kenya Tree- on a random rock in the back on the left (think I already see it back there)
Clove Polyps- I would throw away. . .
Micromussa- I keep mine on the bottom, but bottom or middle somewhere should be fine
Duncan- I would break it off the plug and glue it where the Candy Cane is. . .

Top left and right would be good for some sweet SPS corals (circled in red below)

Sorry I got bored so made this:

1712111572194.png
This is freakin amazing! I will definitely take all this into consideration. Do you have any suggestions for beginner friendly sps? Also, I couldn’t help but lol at the clove polyp suggestion.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is freakin amazing! I will definitely take all this into consideration. Do you have any suggestions for beginner friendly sps? Also, I couldn’t help but lol at the clove polyp suggestion.
Montipora, stylophora, and pocillopora (can spread depending on the species/variety). I think red plating monti is one of the best beginner SPS, but because of it's growth pattern it can shade corals below it so be careful with placement.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Kenya tree and toadstool leathers can take more par than most people think. Plating Monti, birds nest and stylophora as mentioned above are all good beginner sps along with montipora digitata. If you would like some ideas on placement and compatibility check out my tank. This system has been running since last June so it is fairly new. It took moving some things around a few times to find their happy places.
IMG_1746.jpeg

IMG_1747.jpeg
IMG_1748.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back