Does anyone use Brightwell aquatics PH+ ?

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggle with ph swings from low 7s to mid 8s all day. My mixed reef does not appreciate it. Anyone use the brightwell product to raise ph ??

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We try not to focus solely on ph. Make sure your alkalinity is in proper range. Typically a low ph is caused by excessive co2 in the room. To test this take a sample when ph is low and aerate with outside air for 30 minutes or so and test again, if ph increases then low ph is caused by co2 in the room. Don't add buffer to change ph, this often leads to more problems than it fixes.
Run a fuge with lighting on opposite schedule of dt. Run a line to pull in outside air to skimmer.

ase0227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good plan. It is just a high pH alk supplement.
The boost ph+ says specifically it is not an alk supplement and will not effect alk. Are they wrong? I'm having issues raising ph above 7.8 and have my skimmer line outside

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The boost ph+ says specifically it is not an alk supplement and will not effect alk. Are they wrong? I'm having issues raising ph above 7.8 and have my skimmer line outside

Yes, whoever wrote that marketing claim is utterly ignorant of chemistry. It is really very sad that Brightwell continues to show such disdain for facts. :(

Seriously, this really is upsetting..

"Boost pH+ High Range pH Increaser, raises pH only without increasing alkalinity or calcium (in tanks already having a proper dKH)"

"Contains caustic sodium and potassium hydroxides in a proprietary base"

Of course it contains hydroxide. It's the highest possible pH alkalinity supplement. No additive can raise pH more per unit of alkalinity added. BUT IT MOST DEFINITELY RAISES ALKALINITY.

Hydroxide is the ingredient in kalkwasser (limewater) that boosts alkalinity. it is also the ingredient in my very high pH DIY two part. Hydroxide meets the very definition of alkalinity. it is part of the formula for determining alkalinity of seawater.

There is no possible chemical of any possible type that can be added to seawater to boost pH and not boost alkalinity.

ase0227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, whoever wrote that marketing claim is utterly ignorant of chemistry. It is really very sad that Brightwell continues to show such disdain for facts. :(

Seriously, this really is upsetting..

"Boost pH+ High Range pH Increaser, raises pH only without increasing alkalinity or calcium (in tanks already having a proper dKH)"

"Contains caustic sodium and potassium hydroxides in a proprietary base"

Of course it contains hydroxide. It's the highest possible pH alkalinity supplement. No additive can raise pH more per unit of alkalinity added. BUT IT MOST DEFINITELY RAISES ALKALINITY.

Hydroxide is the ingredient in kalkwasser (limewater) that boosts alkalinity. it is also the ingredient in my very high pH DIY two part. Hydroxide meets the very definition of alkalinity. it is part of the formula for determining alkalinity of seawater.

There is no possible chemical of any possible type that can be added to seawater to boost pH and not boost alkalinity.
Thank you so very much. I did my own further research on the separate chemicals and came to the same conclusion. I ended up going with a c02 scrubber whereas the outside line itself wasn't cutting it. My ph was still dropping to 7.62 nightly but would rebound with doors and windows open. Am I correct in thinking the scrubber will help?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back