Does anyone use canister filters anymore?

mark freshwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I havnt used a canister on this build as i feel the skimmer is taking out the waste (mechanical) , the live rock is the biological , and the media im using is in a reactor.
Is there any benefit to using one?
ive found they do more harm than good with the filter sponge/foam etc getting clogged etc.
I ask as the LFS still runs them and ive seen a few pics online of them on setups.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Fluval 306 canister filter with my 55 gallon mixed reef tank. I also use an Aquaclear 70 HOB. I converted from fresh water 3 years ago. I use GFO and carbon in the canister, and just sponges in the HOB. I clean both filters religiously every weekend, and everything is doing great. I have mostly softies, but do have a birdsnest, pocillopora, superman montipora, and a green eyed blue monster. I also have a few LPS. I don't plan on using a sump until I get a new tank. My dream tank is a Red Sea Reefer 425 XL. Maybe in a couple years [emoji16]

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 306 on my 29 gallon reef. It provides great flow. I packed two trays with Pond Matrix and left one tray for filter floss and carbon/Phosgaurd. I ditched the sponges altogether. This set up works great as a filter and reactor. I clean it every two weeks.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 306 on my 29 gallon reef. It provides great flow. I packed two trays with Pond Matrix and left one tray for filter floss and carbon/Phosgaurd. I ditched the sponges altogether. This set up works great as a filter and reactor. I clean it every two weeks.

I've never heard of anyone using Pond Matrix in a tank. If your tank is cycled and mature, why do you need it? Wouldn't it starve your beneficial bacteria? They need to eat too [emoji12]

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of anyone using Pond Matrix in a tank. If your tank is cycled and mature, why do you need it? Wouldn't it starve your beneficial bacteria? They need to eat too [emoji12]

People use products like that and MarinePure all the time. It doesn’t starve the bacteria, just gives extra space for it to grow.
A really common use is for minimalistic rockscapes. You could only use 50 pounds of rock in a 120G tank and love the look and decide you don’t want more, but you would be light on surface area for bacteria. Well a little bit of matrix or any of those very porous bio media placed in the sump can replace the missing rock and then some.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a fluval FX6 with a hob skimmer on my 125 g. No reactors, dosers, etc. I clean it once a month by rinsing the media. The sponge filters of which there are 6, get changed out 3 at a time every 6 months. In the canister I have chemi pure elite, bio max rings and fine filter pads. I've never had an issue with nitrates. Tank has been running for just over 3 years. My only complaint is it's heavy when full. I also use a fluval 406 on my 55 g.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use it in my sump on my 50 Cube and my canister on the 29. When you are light on rock in the display and if you run bare bottom it provides tons of extra surface area for bacteria to thrive. Even with a few fish I don’t think you could starve B.B.
B.B. can actually live for very long periods without a food source.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my reef tank, I don't use one, but on my 40 gallon lagoon (stock tank) which is fish only, I run a canister as the main filtration.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one laying around that wasn't being used so I hooked it up to a UV when I had a Dino outbreak. I set it up temporarily next to the tank on a timer to run at night when the Dino's are in the water column. Ran it for few weeks until all the Dino was gone.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A canister filter is basically a reactor with a built in pump ..... so, yes, lots of people use them even if the name changes LOL

Alp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have a Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 40gal reef tank. I've bought it a short while and trying to set it up. I also have bought Eheim Pro 4+ 600 for better water quality. Also you may know that the tank has it is own back sump (a small one) People say that after sometime it is a nitrate factory. If I want I can return the Eheim back and just keep the small back sump.
What do you guys think?
Thanks!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 91 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%

Back