Does anything eat spiniod & spaghetti worms?

krollins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So spinoid and spaghetti worms are over-populating my tank. What will eat them to control their numbers? I added a frilly arrow crab that might eat the spaghetti worms.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that bumble bee snails can work.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spaghetti worms shouldn't be an issue at all - for spionids, the only effective predators would likely be ones such as small, predatory worms that can follow the into their tubes:
I’d imagine you would need something that could follow them into their burrows for the predation to be effective though, as these guys have been shown to be partially eaten by things like killifish only to regenerate without issue on a regular basis in the wild (with specimens typically losing ~13-24% of their bodies and regenerating completely within ~2 weeks). I’d guess there are some predatory worms that might be effective against these guys, but (like the nudibranch mentioned above) you’d have a tough time finding one even if you knew which species to look for.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spaghetti worms shouldn't be an issue at all - for spionids, the only effective predators would likely be ones such as small, predatory worms that can follow the into their tubes:
Don't Vayssierea Felis nudibranchs eat spionids?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So spinoid and spaghetti worms are over-populating my tank. What will eat them to control their numbers? I added a frilly arrow crab that might eat the spaghetti worms.
Now that I'm not as confused about what you have (lol), I will say I also have a ton of worms similar to spionids, in the genus Phyllochaetopterus. I've recently started sifting their tubes out of my sandbed, a small area at a time, with a strainer spoon similar to this.

Screenshot_20240318-213104.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back