Does Bacto-Balance feed copepods

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running NP Bacto-Balance in my tank for a few weeks. I started using it because I liked the idea of it providing bacteria as a food source for the corals. I think they are already looking better. However, I noticed I now have WAY more copepods running around on the glass which I see as a good thing. Does the bacteria also feed the copepods?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running NP Bacto-Balance in my tank for a few weeks. I started using it because I liked the idea of it providing bacteria as a food source for the corals. I think they are already looking better. However, I noticed I now have WAY more copepods running around on the glass which I see as a good thing. Does the bacteria also feed the copepods?
I really doubt it. If you want a bigger copepod population just dose phyto. Also I'm a big fan of bacterioplankton being present as a food source for corals too but that can be accomplished simply with carbon dosing. I think the noticeable diffince in your corals is much more likely due to a decrease in phosphate and nitrates...

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the copepods: Yes, maybe the NP-Bacto-Balance contributed to increase in copepod population. Besides organic carbon for bacterial growth NP-Bacto-Balance also adds trace elements that could support growth of microalgae which nourish the copepods.

The background for the trace elements in NP-Bacto-Balance is that also bacteria need trace elements for growth. Organic carbon alone is not sufficient.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No as it's just trace elements from what I can see as they can not feed on that . More then likely your population is just expanding naturally with the development of algea in your system .

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No as it's just trace elements from what I can see as they can not feed on that . More then likely your population is just expanding naturally with the development of algea in your system .
What do you mean with "just trace elements"? The algae need trace elements, otherwise no development of algae.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back