NP Bacto Balance Skimmer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does np bacto balance require the use of a skimmer like other carbon dosing methods? Will only be dosing 0.1mL into a 15 gallon that gets a 15% water change weekly. Thanks!
A skimmer helps to get a dynamic equilibrium of nutrients in reef tanks. It is not absolutely necessary.

If dosed in tanks without skimmer, the organic carbon, the nutrients and the bacteria they feed go into the food web which also means out of the water.

We run our tanks without skimmer. As a kind of control we did run one of our systems with skimmer for a few years. Now it is without skimmer again. The skimmer rather seemed to increase phosphate concentrations, at least in our system.

OP
OP
RoanokeReef

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer helps to get a dynamic equilibrium of nutrients in reef tanks. It is not absolutely necessary.

If dosed in tanks without skimmer, the organic carbon, the nutrients and the bacteria they feed go into the food web which also means out of the water.

We run our tanks without skimmer. As a kind of control we did run one of our systems with skimmer for a few years. Now it is without skimmer again. The skimmer rather seemed to increase phosphate concentrations, at least in our system.
Thank you for the answer :)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting! I’d think the opposite since lc is dosed into the skimmer to bind it and pull it.. I could see a skimmer pulling trace elements and others thou..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back