tropic marin np bacto balance

Waldek M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is quite an old method of precipitating phosphate out of the water column to oversaturate the water with calcium carbonate until it precipitates and binds and coprecipitates phosphate.

So yes, it was most likely the formation of calcium carbonate precipitates that removed the phosphate.
Thank you for the explanation

Waldek M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is quite an old method of precipitating phosphate out of the water column to oversaturate the water with calcium carbonate until it precipitates and binds and coprecipitates phosphate.

So yes, it was most likely the formation of calcium carbonate precipitates that removed the phosphate.
Is it also possible to export magnesium in this situation?

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it also possible to export magnesium in this situation?
Do you have a high magnesium concentration? Then I would recommend to do water changes with a salt mix with low in magnesium concentrations.

Waldek M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a high magnesium concentration? Then I would recommend to do water changes with a salt mix with low in magnesium concentrations.
Contrary. I'm getting lower. Before using calcium carbonate I had 1300, three or four days after 1200 and it continued to drop.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary. I'm getting lower. Before using calcium carbonate I had 1300, three or four days after 1200 and it continued to drop.

You will not generally be able to deplete magnesium at a rate higher than about 1/10th of the calcium depletion rate. There is no possibility that magnesium actually dropped 100 ppm in 3 days, unless the salinity dropped substantially. Otherwise, it is test error, which is VERY common:

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Randy, either salinity drop or test error.

The magnesium tests contain ammonia. If left open for a while the ammonia evaporates and the end point gets very blurred or is shifting. This is just one cause for possible test error.

Waldek M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity has not dropped, I checked. To double check the validity of the magnesium test, I simultaneously tested aquarium water and supplementary water prepared with TM Pro Reef salt twice. The salinity of both waters was identical, and the results were +-1200 and +-1350. If the test lies, it's a bit strange that the results were similar between the two test runs for each water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity has not dropped, I checked. To double check the validity of the magnesium test, I simultaneously tested aquarium water and supplementary water prepared with TM Pro Reef salt twice. The salinity of both waters was identical, and the results were +-1200 and +-1350. If the test lies, it's a bit strange that the results were similar between the two test runs for each water.

Well, its test error or a salinity change (or partly both). There is no other possibility. :)

We've seen this move many times. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back