Does copper evaporate from the water?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me as I’m sure this has been asked. Let’s say I’m running a quarantine at 2ppm copper. When the water evaporates, does the copper also evaporate so the top off needs to be balanced with additional copper? Or does it concentrate into the water and the top off would rebalance the tank to 2ppm?

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for as I am aware -- and the assumption I've been operating on -- no, it does not evaporate.

Are you seeing a decrease in levels? If so, do you have any rock in the QT?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper does not evaporate from water, but it can be absorbed by some type of rock, sand etc.I am pretty sure that chelated copper is broken down in QT by some processes decreasing it’s activity. Main issue would be absorption by rock and sand.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I can’t say I’ve seen a decrease as I haven’t ran my quarantine in forever, however the rock and sand absorption makes sense

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I can’t say I’ve seen a decrease as I haven’t ran my quarantine in forever, however the rock and sand absorption makes sense
Coppersafe and power stay in the water and that’s why it’s more stable. Cupramine gets absorb by things like rock and sand. So it makes sense to me that water evaporation would lower copper concentration if it’s coppersafe & power.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it makes sense to me that water evaporation would lower copper concentration if it’s coppersafe & power.

I’m not sure what you are suggesting, but there is no form of copper that you would encounter that has any ability to evaporate at reef tank temperatures.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what you are suggesting, but there is no form of copper that you would encounter that has any ability to evaporate at reef tank temperatures.
I’m not suggesting that copper would vaporize at reef temp but i do see why it could be confusing so let me try again.

If it’s right that the copper content of coppersafe & power would actually stay in the water itself instead of being absorbed by other things in the tank, it makes sense that the overall copper concentration in the tank would lower when fresh water is used to fill up due to daily evaporation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not suggesting that copper would vaporize at reef temp but i do see why it could be confusing so let me try again.

If it’s right that the copper content of coppersafe & power would actually stay in the water itself instead of being absorbed by other things in the tank, it makes sense that the overall copper concentration in the tank would lower when fresh water is used to fill up due to daily evaporation.

Daily evaporation removes only water and refill adds only water, with no effect on copper concentrations when the two match.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daily evaporation removes only water and refill adds only water, with no effect on copper concentrations when the two match.
How does that science work? What sort of temp do the hydrogen and oxygen molecules change phase to cause evaporation yet leaving the copper molecule behind? It’s been a long time since I did thermal dynamics.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does that science work?
Maybe this helps, actually interesting question.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does that science work? What sort of temp do the hydrogen and oxygen molecules change phase to cause evaporation yet leaving the copper molecule behind? It’s been a long time since I did thermal dynamics.

Vapor pressure and rates of evaporation are lengthy and complicated topics relating to how molecule interact with one another.

In very short form, the stronger they interact with each other or with other chemicals in the liquid (including water) the kess they will enter the gas phase.

Water molecules can enter the gas phase in significant numbers even at temperatures below freezing.

All normal forms of copper only enter the gas phase in significant numbers at very high temps, far above the boiling point of water.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 120 81.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back