Does ionic copper (seachem cupramine) be diluted from water by doing water changes?

nayanjyoti2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does ionic copper (seachem cupramine) be diluted from water by doing water changes?

I've dosed the full dose recommended and added fishes but they're swimming on top, against the flow after 6 hours of adding. Breathing patterns look a bit fast than normal. Swimming patterns are fine.

Hence I suspect as copper is a gill irritant, ir might be causing the issue

I don't own a seachem copper test kit so can't tell if it's correct dose or not

So please suggest if water changes will reduce copper concentration

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Removing water with copper and replacing it with water that doesn’t have copper will absolutely dilute the concentration.

Keep in mind that sub therapeutic copper can’t be considered a reliable treatment, and you really need a reliable test kit if you’re going to treat with copper. It’s a poison after all.

Lastly you really should ramp up Cupramine slowly if possible. Like over the course of 5-6 days, even though Seachem says 48 hours. That is unless you’re dealing with Marine Velvet, which kills quickly.

OP
OP
nayanjyoti2012

nayanjyoti2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the instant reply. I'll get a seachem branded test kit asap, once it's available. Appreciate the prompt reply

wanderer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best tester by far for copper is the hanna checker. You don’t want to cut corners here because copper has a narrow therapeutic index. Also copper power is generally safer to use than cupramine. I would either do a large water change or alternatively just add temperature matched water in the meantime

OP
OP
nayanjyoti2012

nayanjyoti2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from India and copper power wasn't available for me. Seachem was pretty common so I went ahead with it.
the best tester by far for copper is the hanna checker. You don’t want to cut corners here because copper has a narrow therapeutic index. Also copper power is generally safer to use than cupramine. I would either do a large water change or alternatively just add temperature matched water in the meantime

For testing anything, yes hanna has all the best test kits. However it costs a lot.
Trying to find a good deal

wanderer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from India and copper power wasn't available for me. Seachem was pretty common so I went ahead with it.

For testing anything, yes hanna has all the best test kits. However it costs a lot.
I see. The problem with copper is that if you can’t test properly for it you’re better off not using it. What are you dosing copper for ? Can this be substituted with chloroquine?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I've dosed the full dose recommended and added fishes but they're swimming on top, against the flow after 6 hours of adding. Breathing patterns look a bit fast than normal. Swimming patterns are fine.

Hence I suspect as copper is a gill irritant, ir might be causing the issue

I don't own a seachem copper test kit so can't tell if it's correct dose or not

So please suggest if water changes will reduce copper concentration
The level of copper is reduced but assuming you are .5 treatment level, You will do a water change and mix the new water at .5 or at what test kit indicates

OP
OP
nayanjyoti2012

nayanjyoti2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. The problem with copper is that if you can’t test properly for it you’re better off not using it. What are you dosing copper for ? Can this be substituted with chloroquine?
I'm using it in a Quarantine setup for prophylactic treatment of ich and velvet. Normally I'm putting half the recommended dose which is a drop per gallon.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Avloclor would be the next option in your country. Yes, cupramine is your only option there and Do not exceed treatment dosage .5

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm using it in a Quarantine setup for prophylactic treatment of ich and velvet. Normally I'm putting half the recommended dose which is a drop per gallon.
Do not go with the drops But use a copper test to determine and do not ramp as it will allow any disease to gain control of the fish

wanderer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don’t think it’s a great idea to use copper with uncertain dosing as a prophylaxis. You’ll end up killing more fish than you save.

Underdosing copper doesn’t wipe out those parasites as much as suppress them.

You’re better off observing for a month or doing the humble fish tank transfer or hybrid tank transfer for 13 days.

I’d also dose with Prazi for flukes.

OP
OP
nayanjyoti2012

nayanjyoti2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don’t think it’s a great idea to use copper with uncertain dosing as a prophylaxis. You’ll end up killing more fish than you save.

Underdosing copper doesn’t wipe out those parasites as much as suppress them.

You’re better off observing for a month or doing the humble fish tank transfer or hybrid tank transfer for 13 days.

I’d also dose with Prazi for flukes.
Yeah I am putting them under observation for 14 days/3 weeks. I'll surely get a good test kit after I find one. For now I only have salifert test kit readily available, but don't know the efficiency of it. Can you please suggest if you know

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
True. Do you know how is salifert copper test kit for measuring ionic copper like cupramine?
Salifert is a good brand but agree on the user friendliness and accuracy of the Hanna kit

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back